The Maggotdrowners Forum - Maver Oculus 999 pole
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Tackle and Baits
 Tackle Reviews
 Maver Oculus 999 pole
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

scuddy

South Yorkshire

Posted - 29 April 2016 :  1:23:56 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scuddy to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

What have done with your ZR5 Mark? Which do you think is the better pole , and why ??

Go to Top of Page

monkmachine

Hampshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 29 April 2016 :  1:31:55 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add monkmachine to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

I'm going Sunday so will post a review then :D I can't wait!

Go to Top of Page

artist
wightangler

Site Supporter

Isles of Wight
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 29 April 2016 :  6:34:17 PM  Show Profile  Send artist an AOL message  Send artist a Yahoo! Message Bookmark this reply Add artist to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

not a maver user( i use a T/pro) but was really astonished at how stiff up to 13m, strong and well balanced , a mates Enigma was for the dough.
Seems modern cheaper end poles have really greatly improved from even 5 years ago and unless its past 13m then much harder to really tell much difference.

support team england!
Go to Top of Page

scuddy

South Yorkshire

Posted - 29 April 2016 :  7:38:11 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scuddy to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

What have done with your ZR5 Mark? Which do you think is the better pole , and why ??

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Mark Dicko
Life Member

East Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 29 April 2016 :  10:13:28 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mark Dicko to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
scuddy Posted - Today : 7:38:11 PM

Still got the zr5......
For my type of fishing.... Commercials all the time now, the oculus is more suited to this, it has stronger wall strength.
The zr5 is a little lighter and stiffer..... It is a good pole.... But I wouldn,t use it for margin lump fishing, but I do use the Oculus for everything .

Go to Top of Page

monkmachine

Hampshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 01 May 2016 :  7:55:11 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add monkmachine to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Fished today with it at 13m during a match and had carp up to 8/9lb and the pole easily coped. Lovely bit of kit and a big improvement on my old 412. Walls feel nice and solid, doesn't droop at 13m/14.5m although starts to go at 16m (but don't they all).

Go to Top of Page

SteveinSwindon

Wiltshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 08 July 2016 :  8:09:42 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SteveinSwindon to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

I have just bought one (having to replace gear following a garage theft - thieving scumbags).
£895 from Bristol Angling Centre, RRP £1335 and from other reviews i have read, seems to be comparable with poles costing the RRP.

Not used it yet - still have some more gear to replace - but have started elasticating it and had it up in the garden. Very stiff and extremely light, though loses a bit beyond 14.5m as most do. Bought Maver Puller Cones for the pre fitted side pullers, but nice that it includes bushes, slots, clean caps and a cupping kit, plus a nice holdall.

My only criticism so far is I would have preferred another match kit for canals.

Go to Top of Page

Mark Dicko
Life Member

East Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 24 October 2016 :  11:29:38 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mark Dicko to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Update ......the Oculus has handled everything i can throw at it and come out with flying colours ! I have used it for everything, margins, silvers, long, snake lakes,lumps,shallow etc...... had ghosties up to 18lb, match weights of 150lb + , no problems. The power lite top kits are very strong and light.... i have every confidence in this pole.... my first Maver....well impressed. I was scared of breaking the ZR5....no such worries with the Oculus.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Peter
'Mugger'

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
England

Happy and relaxed in Yorkshire

My Photo Album

Posted - 25 October 2016 :  11:15:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Thanks for the update Mark.

Winner MD's Alders Farm Match 2012
Winner Jinx Series 2 Day Rolfs Festival 2012.
Winner MD's Rolf's Pairs Championship 2007 with Tony Roberts.
Winner MD's National Individual Championship 2005.
Winner Jinx Series Pairs 2005 with Steve Wilson.
Winner MD's Southern Individual Championship 2004.

Read 'My Fishing Diaries'
Go to Top of Page

Mark Dicko
Life Member

East Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 23 November 2016 :  3:02:13 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mark Dicko to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Here,s the review from Jake Fowles - Pole fishing Magazine.

Maver Oculus 999 Pole

A Real Eye-Opener! Jake Fowles gets his hands on the new Maver Oculus 999!

Over the past few months I have come to realise how the once canyon-like gap between mid-range and flagship poles is closing. Advancements in the manufacture of poles mean they are getting continuously better, so your hard-earned cash can now go further than ever. When the Maver Oculus 999 arrived in the Pole Fishing office this month Joe Carass was quick to tell me what a nice piece of kit it was. He had visited Maver HQ earlier in the year and explained that, according to Maver, it was created to be the best sub-£1,000 pole on the market, and a pole Maver could have easily retailed as a near £2,000 model.

Out Of The Bag

Categorised as an all-round pole with a SSP of £999, the Maver Oculus 999 is designed to be equally at home at any venue you choose to unleash it on, but with an elastic rating of a 20 it is made to thrive when targeting commercial fisheries. When removed from the Maver Deluxe Pole Holdall it comes in we are presented with a package including five of Maver’s Powerlite slotted and pre-bushed power kits, a mini extension, cupping kit including cups, three EVA clean caps to keep the pole in tiptop condition, a 16m pole (including a match top three kit inside) and a DVD, giving you a comprehensive package to set you on your way, as well as entertainment to stick on while you get the top kits ‘laccied up’.

The Oculus 999 features Maver’s trademark lime green and orange colour scheme on all four of the final sections, giving the pole a look that will definitely stand out on the bank! When it comes to features and technologies used in the construction of its poles, Maver is not a company to hold back. High-tensile Japanese carbon fibres and unique resins, reinforced with Super Tough Epoxy Resins – or ‘STER’ as Maver calls it – and further strengthened with 4MAT aerospace matrix resins, combined with Reglass patented Nanolith multi-directional fibre technology, are just a handful of the elements used in creating the Oculus 999.

On The Bank

With a festival at the venue fast approaching I decided to take the Maver Oculus to the wonderful Weston Pools fishery in Oswestry. Weston is without a doubt one of my favourite fisheries in the country and whenever I can come up with a viable excuse I seize the opportunity to make a visit. After a quick chat with the very helpful staff, I was pointed in the direction of Stretton Pool, a 32-peg lake with plenty of open water, giving anglers lots of options. Despite fishing the venue maybe 20 times over the past few years I had never actually fished this lake before, so it was a good chance to see what it was like.

Keeping my tactics simple I decided to have a nice morning’s fishing using maggots at long distance. The lake has a good stocking of ide, F1s, carp, barbel and general silver fish, so this tactic should see me have plenty of action during the course of the session and allow me to get a real feel for the pole. Starting on the deck at 13 metres, loose feeding via a catapult, the day started well, picking up a mixture of ide, averaging a pound each and small F1s. I was instantly impressed with the pole – at 13 metres the Oculus 999 felt very well balanced and lightweight (just 790g at this distance) and the black Suncore finish gives the pole a really nice feel that makes it a dream to ship in and out at speed. Teflon joints on the number three, four, five and six sections add to the nice finish and will benefit the lifespan of the pole in the long run.

I was soon catching a fish every drop in and I started getting indications up in the water. A change to a shallow rig saw my catch rate increase even further; again a mixture of nice sized ide and F1s were the species taking a fancy to my maggot hook bait. The further into the session I went the more impressed with the Oculus I became. Hitting bites at long distance was a doddle, with the pole boasting impressive tip speed keeping missed bites to a minimum. The Oculus’ wall strength was impressive as well, an attribute that gave me utmost confidence to give it a bit of stick. Eager to test the Oculus at longer lengths I started to ping my maggots past the end of my pole tip. Soon enough the telltale sign of fish swirling on the surface as the bait landed in the swim was my invitation to push on past my initial starting point. First off the 14.5m extension was added, and to be honest at this distance there was very little difference to the performance or feel to the pole – still well-balanced, stiff and I was equally able to hit bites comfortably without delay from the strike. Surely adding the 16m section was going to change that, making the pole borderline unmanageable? Absolutely not! At the pole’s full length of 16 metres it still felt nice to use and I would have no qualms in using it at this length for long periods. I was now fishing tight over to the far-bank reeds, which resulted in more bites, more fish in the net and if the Oculus 999 hadn’t achieved it already, it had me pleasantly surprised.

A Tick In Every Box… In summary, I have been really impressed with the Maver Oculus 999. In what was a relatively short session I managed a fish almost every drop in and it was a pleasure to use throughout. At the end of the day I was left struggling to think of any negatives against the pole. As I said before, it’s strong, stiff and well balanced with a finish that feels great when shipping in and out. Without a doubt it’s an option really worth taking a look at if you’re in the market for a sub £1,000 pole!

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

thetraveller
Life Member

Tyne and Wear
Saint Vincent And The Grenadines

Posted - 25 November 2016 :  08:01:28 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thetraveller to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Does anybody treat magazine endorsements of equipment seriously anymore?

Go to Top of Page

sporty
Life Member

Site Supporter

Posted - 26 November 2016 :  11:30:46 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sporty to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

i certainly would not ,cant beat word of mouth no matter what the item is i have all ways found.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

MOGZ
Life Member

Staffordshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 19 December 2016 :  2:31:44 PM  Show Profile  Send MOGZ an AOL message Bookmark this reply Add MOGZ to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

My elite carp is coming to the end of its life - anyone got one of these and an oculus to compare?

Go to Top of Page

Peter
'Mugger'

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
England

Happy and relaxed in Yorkshire

My Photo Album

Posted - 20 January 2017 :  7:36:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Just treated myself to an Oculus 999 today having had the chance to have a good look at one and will give my thoughts on it in due course.

A word to the wise though, if anyone is thinking of getting one in the near future, i've been informed that any new stock coming in will have a £100 price increase as shown in the new 2017 catalogue.

Winner MD's Alders Farm Match 2012
Winner Jinx Series 2 Day Rolfs Festival 2012.
Winner MD's Rolf's Pairs Championship 2007 with Tony Roberts.
Winner MD's National Individual Championship 2005.
Winner Jinx Series Pairs 2005 with Steve Wilson.
Winner MD's Southern Individual Championship 2004.

Read 'My Fishing Diaries'
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login © Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2017 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.28 seconds.