The Maggotdrowners Forum - Map Z30 Elite seat box
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Talk
 Map Z30 Elite seat box
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

alanmac
Life Member

Site Supporter

Tyne and Wear

Posted - 01 December 2016 :  8:42:00 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add alanmac to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Has anybody got one, tried one or have seen one at first hand?

Would love the answer to the following;

1) Can you open the side drawers without standing up.
2) Are the drawers waterproof.
3) Does the box sit on a Preston shuttle.
4) Is the box any heavier than a Preston compact.
5) Do the side drawers have compartments.

I have my doubts as if Map produce atrocious hook length boxes then why suddenly can they produce a quality box. Appreciate opposite ends of the spectrum but the same principal applies. Had enough of Preston gear falling to bits.

Appreciate any information.

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

genesis
Genesis-Rizov

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Matched up & living the dream every day

Posted - 01 December 2016 :  8:51:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit genesis's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add genesis to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by alanmac

Has anybody got one, tried one or have seen one at first hand?

Would love the answer to the following;

1) Can you open the side drawers without standing up.
2) Are the drawers waterproof.
3) Does the box sit on a Preston shuttle.
4) Is the box any heavier than a Preston compact.
5) Do the side drawers have compartments.

I have my doubts as if Map produce atrocious hook length boxes then why suddenly can they produce a quality box. Appreciate opposite ends of the spectrum but the same principal applies. Had enough of Preston gear falling to bits.

Appreciate any information.

Whats wrong with the Map hook length box. I have had two of the double sided ones for a few years now and never had a problem. And never had any Preston gear fall to bits.

Genesis-Rizov Pole Floats
Go to Top of Page

Markus
Life Member

Posted - 01 December 2016 :  8:57:34 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Markus to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

The box looks like it is produced from the same manufacturer as the Preston ones.

Go to Top of Page

alanmac
Life Member

Site Supporter

Tyne and Wear

Posted - 01 December 2016 :  9:03:18 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alanmac to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

The plastic hook length box has warped, the plastic tags have snapped and the White marker strips have curled up.

Every Preston roller has fallen to bits, my compact, two years old has had a new seat, a strap and two under trays replaced, it leaks you have to stand to open side drawers, even my new shuttle has one front wheel housing shorter than the other.

Anyway thanks for the information on the new box

Go to Top of Page

nomorelongwalks
Mark Spitz

Site Supporter

Gt. London
United Kingdom

back on the road.

Posted - 01 December 2016 :  9:09:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit nomorelongwalks's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add nomorelongwalks to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by alanmac
The plastic hook length box has warped, the plastic tags have snapped and the White marker strips have curled up.

Every Preston roller has fallen to bits, my compact, two years old has had a new seat, a strap and two under trays replaced, it leaks you have to stand to open side drawers, even my new shuttle has one front wheel housing shorter than the other.

Anyway thanks for the information on the new box

Sounds like Triggers new broom lol

I went to Africa last year, they do know it's christmas.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

alanmac
Life Member

Site Supporter

Tyne and Wear

Posted - 01 December 2016 :  9:36:55 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alanmac to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Funny that as I'm sure there are some bristles coming out of the bottom of my super Preston compact

Go to Top of Page

JLK
Life Member

Site Supporter

United Kingdom

Posted - 02 December 2016 :  09:52:44 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLK to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

You want to know if a Map box will fit on a preston shuttle, which is renowned for falling to pieces!

Nice one :-)

Go to Top of Page

artist
wightangler

Site Supporter

Isles of Wight
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 02 December 2016 :  10:42:55 AM  Show Profile  Send artist an AOL message  Send artist a Yahoo! Message Bookmark this reply Add artist to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by JLK

You want to know if a Map box will fit on a preston shuttle, which is renowned for falling to pieces!

really? my 9 yr old converted shuttle is still going strong and most of my pi luggage the same with one holdall for my silverfish pole being about 18 years old.

Strangely, i 'd be also interested in any actual replies to Alanmacs original post as fancy a new box possibly despite my original space station still being ok.

support team england!

Edited by - artist on 02 December 2016 10:47:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

Chris1Richo
Life Member

North Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 02 December 2016 :  10:43:50 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chris1Richo to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by JLK

Simply not true, mine has warped a bit over time I will give you that. So much so I have to bang it with a hammer so it goes together. It still remains in one piece

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

JLK
Life Member

Site Supporter

United Kingdom

Posted - 02 December 2016 :  10:54:20 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLK to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Hahaha - I have a shuttle - the 4 wheel version. It's fine now, but I did have trouble with the fasteners coming undone and wheels falling off - thumb screws falling out and box retainer lugs coming apart.

I replaced these with some fasteners off an old seatbox and don't have any issues with it now.

My mates just bought the Map trolly for his absolute station so I'm guessing that the map box would fit on a shuttle no problem with a few bungees etc

Go to Top of Page

Tomboy2
Life Member

Warwickshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 02 December 2016 :  11:22:22 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tomboy2 to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Is anyone going to answer the original question. !!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

vacuman
Life Member

Site Supporter

Hertfordshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 02 December 2016 :  2:44:26 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vacuman to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Some of the answers in this youtube video

Edited by - vacuman on 02 December 2016 2:46:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

gingert76
Ginge

Site Supporter

Posted - 02 December 2016 :  3:28:33 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gingert76 to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

bloody hell a helpful post! almost fell off my chair when i saw that!

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Chris1Richo
Life Member

North Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 02 December 2016 :  4:53:54 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chris1Richo to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

To be fair I think its a bit harsh to give people grief for a bit of light hearted fun? We could have simply told the op that MAP have Facebook, Twitter and an email address.

Here is a link: http://www.mapfishing.co.uk/contact

Go to Top of Page

genesis
Genesis-Rizov

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Matched up & living the dream every day

Posted - 02 December 2016 :  5:29:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit genesis's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add genesis to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

A lot of answers can be found on the internet for a minimal amount of effort.

Genesis-Rizov Pole Floats
Go to Top of Page

RedArc

Posted - 02 December 2016 :  11:39:19 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RedArc to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

1) Seat is harder than a rive is such a thing is possible so youll want to stand up when ever possible!. I am 14 stone the draws open for me.
2) Draws have a top seal and are supposed to be water proof, havent tested them though
3) Not tested, but never had a seat box i couldnt get on a preston shuttle
4) The box is heavier than it looks, no idea what a preston compact ways so cant answer question
5) The shallow draw has 2 dividers the deep draw 1 they are part of the moulding so cant be removed unless you cut them out.

The locking knob on the telescopic legs looks like it will last 5 minutes

The draw catches have a tapered pin and work well

Go to Top of Page

Breac
Life Member

Site Supporter

Highland

Posted - 03 December 2016 :  12:22:28 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Breac to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Simple answer, if you do not want cheap and nasty, buy Daiwa.

Breac
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

alanmac
Life Member

Site Supporter

Tyne and Wear

Posted - 03 December 2016 :  10:15:41 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alanmac to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Thanks RedArc that is helpful, the Map box looks the part for me but the price worries me a bit, bit on the cheap side compared to others so don't think it will last having said that you would think 595 would buy you quality.

To be honest the Preston compact is an ideal box for me but the build quality is just awful, apart from paying Rive prices (way over priced) it appears there is just not a box out there that ticks most boxes.

A strong light framed box like Map design with what looks like a good stacker system so you have the choice what to take, comfortable seat, side drawers that don't leak and that work without having to stand up with plenty of add on extras for those that want them, priced no dearer than 700 simply does not exist

Go to Top of Page

pies
Life Member

Site Supporter

Kent

Posted - 03 December 2016 :  10:28:22 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pies to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Get the D25mm octbox

Go to Top of Page

JLK
Life Member

Site Supporter

United Kingdom

Posted - 03 December 2016 :  11:00:49 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLK to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

All manufacturers seatboxes have upsides and downsides.

Brilo - I have two of them. Good boxes in their day compared to what was available back then and very expensive too for the time, but in reality nowadays, apart from the fact they are one of the lightest boxes around with the smallest footprint - not very good at all compared to the modern boxes of today.

Current box - Preston Absolute Compact. A very usable box. Not the best build quality granted but sturdy and useable. Not too bad on the pocket either. Drawers are spot on but I'm not an overly large chap so will probably never suffer this issue of sticking drawers. A bit of water in the box/drawers doesn't worry me. I fish outdoors - it's to be expected.

Maver boxes - I have two of these. No different to the garbolino/sensas/browning/daiwa boxes and very useable. Good drawer arragements and very stable. Dated design.
Rive/matrix no idea never had one.
Map z series. Not a lot of box for your money to be honest. Will not be buying one or looking at one.

It's like the poles of old - 16m pole and two top kits for well over a grand.

People want more for their money and rightly so - more top kits - more drawers/trays etc, included as standard. A fancy seat box frame and fancy leg fasteners aren't what I look for in a box.

Octbox D25 - probably the most complete box you can buy for only 575. And a seven drawer version at that with extras. Bargain!

Go to Top of Page

stikflote
Life Member

Site Supporter

Derbyshire
England

blanked again

Posted - 03 December 2016 :  11:17:24 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stikflote to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

It could be worth having a look at the Matrix super box 25 they come with a shuttle
as well, seem to be very well made
tho only my opinion ,but for me it ticks all the boxes

Its wet again
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2017 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.36 seconds.