The Maggotdrowners Forum - Rules for Rules sake
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Talk
 Rules for Rules sake
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Sam Vimes
Life Member

North Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 11 January 2017 :  5:06:10 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sam Vimes to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by blue orfe

The problem is carp anglers now often outnumber match/pleasure anglers at AGM's so you get lumbered with daft rules like having to have a giant unhooking mat ready for use next to you and carrying lip anti-septic!! Rules apply even when trotting the river for roach, ridiculous.

Some clubs undoubtedly end up that way if their waters attract that type of angler. It's unlikely that they'd have rules limiting the maximum hook size or ban braid hooklinks though.

There are plenty of clubs that are run by match and general anglers. This type of club is unlikely to see blanket rules on unhooking mats and anti-septics.

The reality is that you need to pick the clubs you join based on whether the rules and waters fit (or at least come close to) your own ideals and angling. If they don't, don't join in the first place, seek to change things democratically, or leave if things change in any way that you can't accept.

I do almost everything under the coarse angling umbrella, bar predator fishing. However, I join multiple clubs to do so as well as fishing syndicates and day ticket waters. Any one of them have, at times had rules I don't particularly agree with. If it's so bad that me being a member is no longer viable, I'll leave. The reality is that I've stopped fishing several waters and dropped clubs because my angling priorities have changed, but I've only left one club because I was fundamentally opposed to the way they were operating.

There's always another club, syndicate or day ticket water to try if you don't like your current choice for whatever reason.

Go to Top of Page

blue orfe
Life Member

Site Supporter

Berkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 11 January 2017 :  5:16:53 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blue orfe to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

The club I am talking about has miles of rivers, 3 mostly silvers lakes and a couple of very good carp lakes so I join because of the waters, daft rules won't stop me and I'll join again this year, been a member for about 10 years.
Problem is attendance at AGM's. Carp anglers are more active and they hunt in packs, so disagree with their proposal and you get shouted down.
The other daft rule now is 30inch minimum landing net size!

Go to Top of Page

G0zzer2
Life Member

Site Supporter

Cambridgeshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 11 January 2017 :  7:13:42 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add G0zzer2 to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

The reason braid was banned as a reel mainline on most commercials in the 1980s/1990s was because it has so little stretch (basically none) that fishery owners were worried that anglers using it were very likely to get broken if they hooked a carp. Remember that at that time carp were quite a novelty. Personally I agree with the ban for that reason.

Go to Top of Page

crumpercatcher
Life Member

Lancashire
United Kingdom

Posted - 11 January 2017 :  8:07:14 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crumpercatcher to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

I use big 'ooks for fishing prawn, lobworm, slugs and mussels for perch and tench.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Thebestboxever
Life Member

North Yorkshire
England

Posted - 12 January 2017 :  09:19:05 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Thebestboxever to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

I'd first point out (as someone else has) that hook sizes are not uniform. I'd then also point out that the design of the hook will also be relevant; specifically the thickness of the wire. And that is also something that can vary considerably. The general rule is balance: right hook size (based on what it looks like rather than how it's described on the packet) for the bait, and balanced with the hooklength and the main line. Also, since no-one (exec pet perhaps a Scotthorne) can guarantee what fish will take the bait, then saying you use a particular size for a particular fish is a bit of a nonsense. I'm sure we've all had a lunatic perch or roach take a bait intended for a carp, with a hook about the third of the size of the fish.

Finally, remember we are in Britain - we love nothing more than following to the letter a stupid rule, because it gives us something to moan about.

Go to Top of Page

spickup79

Gt.Manchester
United Kingdom

Posted - 12 January 2017 :  4:07:20 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spickup79 to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by Aquaman2000uk

Another thing Iíve noticed over the years, is that at big fish venues where you canít use small hooks the fish have almost perfect mouths, yet at match/commercials venues Iíve visited the fish always have a degree of damage especially to the mouths with many of the smaller fish having what is called parrot mouth and are deemed hard to catch! Nick Speed mentioned this in one of his videos

I think there are a lot of variables at play in this observation so we can't really conclude that small hooks are more likely to do damage than big hooks. First of all, the fish in big fish venues tend to get caught less frequently than those in match commercials so have more time to recover after capture. The fish in a lot of match venues are under immense pressure and some must get caught several times a week. Then there is the fact that a lot of true specimen anglers will care for each individual fish they catch by applying antiseptic to wounds, including on the lips if needed. Then there is the issue of commercials seeing anglers fishing for the carp with totally over gunned tackle - I've lost count of the number of times I've seen an angler with a 2lb test curve carp rod pulling the head off a 5lb carp with barely a hint of a bend in the rod - that can't be good for them.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login © Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2017 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.23 seconds.