The Maggotdrowners Forum - Loop to Loop
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Talk
 Loop to Loop
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

JohnTynan

Posted - 11 January 2017 :  9:29:02 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add JohnTynan to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Why do I have such trouble trying to separate a bloody loop-to-loop?

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Dave
Red Leader

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
England

...fully qualified in Tea making

My Photo Album

Posted - 11 January 2017 :  9:35:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dave's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Dave to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Are you putting loop A (hooklength loop) through loop B (mainline or rig) and then threading your hook through loop A ?

That's the usual reason why people find it hard to split the loops.

The correct way is to put loop B through loop A then put your hook into loop B

Dave

Please Support Maggotdrowning.com

MaggotMail Email service for Anglers

The Maggotdrowning Clothing Shop

Go to Top of Page

JohnTynan

Posted - 11 January 2017 :  9:37:56 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JohnTynan to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

I do it the correct way as you describe, as I read that suggestion before. Still a b*%@&*d

Go to Top of Page

kevin o connor
M.O.G. member

Site Supporter

Wexford
Ireland

Posted - 11 January 2017 :  9:49:35 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kevin o connor to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

http://hooked-on-fishing.blogspot.i...op-knot.html Have a look at this !

If you think I am narky now, you should hear me when I am bad humour
Go to Top of Page

Mr Fishin
Life Member

Site Supporter

Cheshire

Posted - 11 January 2017 :  11:19:05 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mr Fishin to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

After catching a few fish or snags, the hook length loop will cut into the mainline loop an almost indiscernible amount.(assuming the hook length is a lower diameter than the mainline). This creates a ridge which is what makes it so difficult to undo the loops.

What I do is pull the mainline loop open which will break the seal and will allow you to push the 2 loops apart.

Edited by - Mr Fishin on 11 January 2017 11:20:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

pauln
Dreadexit

Site Supporter

Teesside
United Kingdom

Lost

Posted - 12 January 2017 :  12:15:41 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pauln to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

make the main line loop bigger and use a MAP lasso tool

Go to Top of Page

Thebestboxever
Life Member

North Yorkshire
England

Posted - 12 January 2017 :  12:55:34 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Thebestboxever to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

I'd just cut off the hooklength, and replace with a new one if needed. As someone cleverer than I pointed out a while back somewhere on this site: why are we fishermen/women so willing (even happy!) to pay for a new pole, box, rod, reel, bag etc, and throw in x amount of bait, but not give up approximately 10p for a hooklength?

Go to Top of Page

Thebestboxever
Life Member

North Yorkshire
England

Posted - 12 January 2017 :  12:58:03 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Thebestboxever to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

And I realise I wasn't entirely clear: in cutting the hooklength, what I do I cut the hooklength loop, but only one "side" of the loop. I then pull the hooklength. This gives an uneven "loop" stuck (for reasons explained above). I then pull on the longer length of the "loop", thus pulling it out of the loop on the mainline. Then, attach a new hooklength.

Go to Top of Page

richox12
Life Member

Posted - 12 January 2017 :  07:44:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit richox12's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add richox12 to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

It can be a real pig with fine lines like 0.09, 0.08, 0.07 but then I end up doing what Thebestboxer says later. If I am not using the hooklength again I just cut it and trash it

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

genesis
Genesis-Rizov

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Matched up & living the dream every day

Posted - 12 January 2017 :  08:07:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit genesis's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add genesis to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Why not use a quick connector.

Genesis-Rizov Pole Floats
Go to Top of Page

Chris1Richo
Life Member

North Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 12 January 2017 :  10:05:13 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chris1Richo to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

I don't struggle with this, but I do often struggle to get a band through the loop. Maybe I tie the loops too small...
Any tricks on this would be appreciated.

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

richox12
Life Member

Posted - 12 January 2017 :  10:15:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit richox12's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add richox12 to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by genesis

Too big and too heavy on very fine lines

Go to Top of Page

gingert76
Ginge

Site Supporter

Posted - 12 January 2017 :  10:18:29 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gingert76 to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

you could always use a baiting needle through the loop first to pull the band through though personally i have no problems so i am guessing you make smaller loops than me. Also to change the HL i just cut the loop and pull the tag through, not sure why you would want the loop to come off so you can re-use it?

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

NathanWatson
Life Member

Lincolnshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 12 January 2017 :  10:36:41 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NathanWatson to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :

What's one of them?

Go to Top of Page

JohnTynan

Posted - 12 January 2017 :  11:59:00 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JohnTynan to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Thanks all. Plenty of suggestions to try out.

Go to Top of Page

Chris1Richo
Life Member

North Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 12 January 2017 :  12:48:00 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chris1Richo to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by NathanWatson

quote :

What's one of them?

Think the op might might like a Preston bead etc. http://www.fishingmayhem.com/presto...Eq0wodZx0Dqw

These wouldn't be able to be used unless feeder fishing.

Go to Top of Page

JohnTynan

Posted - 12 January 2017 :  1:48:36 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JohnTynan to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

I'm using the loop to loop primarily on a whip, connecting the hook length to the main line.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

pat 1948
Life Member

Site Supporter

Staffordshire
United Kingdom

fair, fat and retired

Posted - 12 January 2017 :  1:58:50 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pat 1948 to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

It's only this year that I've gone back to river fishing after a very long break and I've noticed that the match anglers now have their 'sticks' on winders the same as pole rigs, so a figure of 8 over hand loop knot is a must on both the main line and the rig as well, also hook lengths, and when tackling down the joining of the loops the correct way certainly makes life a lot easier.

pat
Go to Top of Page

DFL
Life Member

Site Supporter

Kent
United Kingdom

Posted - 12 January 2017 :  2:30:52 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DFL to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by richox12

quote :

Even these? They are tiny and light.

https://www.tackleuk.co.uk/Shop/Coa...ck-Snaps.htm

Go to Top of Page

HABS

Nottinghamshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 12 January 2017 :  3:08:35 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HABS to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

As has been posted above,just cut them off and bin them,the hook is the most important part! I sometimes go through 10 maybe 15 a match if I'm fishing shallow.

Go to Top of Page

richox12
Life Member

Posted - 12 January 2017 :  3:15:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit richox12's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add richox12 to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by DFL

quote :
Originally posted by richox12

quote :

Even these? They are tiny and light.

https://www.tackleuk.co.uk/Shop/Coa...ck-Snaps.htm

Yes, even those. If you have an 0.09mm mainline and 0.07mm hooklength you don't want anything else on the join.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2017 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.36 seconds.