The Maggotdrowners Forum - Another Pleasant Evening
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Old Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

** THE MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM HAS MOVED **

To go to the New Forums please click this link: THE NEW MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM

Important - If this is your first time logging into the new Forums you will need to reset your Password
as your previous password will not work - Click to Reset Password

If you have any problems logging in or resetting your password, please contact us with your Username and Email Address using this link Contact Us and we will get you back in as soon as possible. Alternatively email HELP@maggotdrowning.com with your name and username

The Maggotdrowners Forums have moved however the content of the old forum can stll be viewed even though no further replies can be added. All this content (and more) can be found by going to our new forums. To go to the New Maggotdrowning.com Forums please click this link: THE NEW MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM

All Forums
 Fishing
 Where You Fished Today
 Another Pleasant Evening
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Simon R
Life Member

Teesside
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 22 June 2017 :  8:44:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Simon R's Homepage  Click to see Simon R's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this topic Add Simon R to your friends list

Yesterday was the fourth trip of the new season to Dromonby Farm Fishery, just outside the hamlet of Great Busby in North Yorkshire. This was the second of our three match evening series and after a couple of calls and texts earlier in the week I was expecting anywhere between 5 and 8 anglers attending. I suspect the torrential rain and thunderstorms earlier in the day (with more forecast) possibly put one or two off and we ended up with just five anglers – Dave, Tink and myself who’d fished the first round plus Hish & Paul.

Despite the fact that back home there was barely a breath of wind, it was breezy up at Dromonby and the draw saw me pull peg three out of the bag with the wind blowing straight at me. Quite often the wind will moderate as the evening draws on, however last night that didn’t happen unfortunately. In a three-hour evening match, it’s a waste of time to feed umpteen different lines – especially when you know for a fact that the fish will probably move into the margins late on whether you feed them or out. So with this in mind I fed one line at about 7m – adjacent to the overflow pipe which makes for an excellent marker on this peg and a second in the edge down to my right. Into both of these swims went a good potful of corn and cat-meat and I’d also loose feed maggot on my 3m line. I wasn’t too confident of catching in the margins – they are very shallow on this peg and there’s also not much cover – at least being shallow though the fish do tend to give themselves away if they do arrive – tail patterns and muddied up water being pretty good indicators.

I started on the short-line just with maggot on the hook and, as expected, started picking up small roach and rudd quite quickly – they were only small though and from previous experience I know you need to be picking up the larger 2-3oz fish quite regularly if you’re gonna do a reasonable weight of silvers. After refeeding I had a look over the cat-food line but other than indications that roach were playing football with the meat there didn’t seem to be anything else forthcoming. It was the same story down my margin line. I continued for a while alternating between my cat-food line and catching roach on the maggot but the increasingly gusty wind was ruining presentation out at 7m – plus particularly strong gusts could often result in the float jerking sideways and ripping the hook out of the meat.

Elsewhere most had a carp, I couldn’t see Hish due to the bankside vegetation and I couldn’t see his pole either which indicated he was obviously fishing the margin but the splashes I’d heard also indicated he’d caught a fish or two – I couldn’t see Dave behind the island either but did catch a glimpse a couple of times of elastic streaming from the end of his pole as lively carp made a bid for freedom. Paul had dropped a couple into the net but was also losing fish due to the reed beds down to his left – Tink had also had a couple of titanic battles with oversize carp – this one made good it’s escape.

After an unsuccessful 20 minutes on the method feeder over towards the island

I switched my cat-meat line to top kit plus one section – in effect roughly the same area I’d been targeting the roach. The better presentation helped immensely and I finally hooked a carp – it came off almost straight away, making me a present of a king size scale but at least I now knew there were one or two better fish in my swim.

A switch to corn on the hook got me two or three chunky roach and I hooked another carp, which also came adrift after a few seconds - finally through I did get one to stay on and netted a little common of a pound or so.

In hindsight I should have dropped on to that line much earlier but it’s always easy to be wise after the event

It was too little, too late and I was fairly sure I’d be propping the rest up come the weigh-in. I was first to weigh and had a level 5lbs.

Hish had done a bit better – including some paste caught fish, a bait he’d never been successful with previously – 13lb 4oz was good enough for 3rd spot.

Round the back of the island I'd heard Dave doing battle with some fish but hadn’t actually seen much action – he caught on paste initially and then corn when it got a bit slower - 20lb 8oz was enough for a second consecutive win - and almost certainly the overall series too

Paul had done battle with the reeds and had mainly smaller carp but still enough to get second with 14lb 12oz

Tink caught a couple and lost a couple and weighed 2oz les than he did last match with 6lb 8oz

So after the first two rounds the scores are:

D.Jackson	64	8.0	2
Simon	Robson	24	0.0	7
P.Trattles	14	12.0	9
Terry	Garner	13	2.0	9
G.Bunning	17	3.0	10
Hisham	Ahmed	13	4.0	10
M.Atkinson	11	13.0	11

Should be room for a guest or two at the final round on July 5th (5.30pm draw, fish 6.15pm-9.15pm £12 all-in)

Simon

Edited by - Simon R on 22 June 2017 8:47:11 PM
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login © Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2020 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.09 seconds.