The Maggotdrowners Forum - River Calder Wakefield
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Old Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

** THE MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM HAS MOVED **

To go to the New Forums please click this link: THE NEW MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM

Important - If this is your first time logging into the new Forums you will need to reset your Password
as your previous password will not work - Click to Reset Password

If you have any problems logging in or resetting your password, please contact us with your Username and Email Address using this link Contact Us and we will get you back in as soon as possible. Alternatively email HELP@maggotdrowning.com with your name and username

The Maggotdrowners Forums have moved however the content of the old forum can stll be viewed even though no further replies can be added. All this content (and more) can be found by going to our new forums. To go to the New Maggotdrowning.com Forums please click this link: THE NEW MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM

All Forums
 Fishing
 Where You Fished Today
 River Calder Wakefield
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dandan2000
Life Member

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 24 June 2017 :  01:40:45 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add dandan2000 to your friends list

Difficult conditions today. A swirling wind that made running a waggler though quite difficult. Plus the river really needs a good flush through as the silk week made it awkward to lay any line on the deck. So, my aim was to fish a big waggler out in the main flow about 2/3's across and fish two lines on the pole, 13m and 9m. I've never fished this stretch before and after chatting with a guy who said he fished it regular I settled on a swim that he said was quite deep.
My aim was to try and catch some big bream on the pole and some silvers on the running line.
The river was quite clear and fairly warm so I mixed up a kilo of 50:50 mix of lake black and Bremes and let that settle whilst I set about plumbing up. Once mixed I planned to add an equal amount of soil.
Out came four top fours and a waggler rod, the rod I set up a straight 4bb waggler with 3bb bulked round the float and equally spaced droppers down the 3lb mainline to a 0.11 hooklength with an 18 hook. I found 5 foot of depth just tripping over the troublesome weed. The two pole lines I plumbed quickly made me realise that there wasn't the depth that the guy told me there was.
At 9m I had 4.5 feet and At 13 I had 6 foot. So much for some depth! My plan was to ball in at 13 and fish chopped worm and caster and loose feed bronze maggots at 9. There was practically no flow whatsoever at 9m and little at 13, so an 0.8 NG caner gimp wire with a bulk and two droppers with 0.14 main to 0.12 and a size 16.
The other rig for this line was just a heavier float of 1.5g and 0.16 to 0.14 with a 14 hook should I really start to hit into the bream which can go to double figures in this stretch apparently.
Inside line was a NG caner finesse wire in 0.5, one strung out and the other bulked. Both these rigs were tied 0.12 to 0.10 and featured a 20 hook.
I decided with it not being the depth I anticipated to trim the soil content back by half. I chopped up a good handful of worms and added two of the same of casters. I then cupped in 8 tennis ball sized balls at 13m. Leaving that to settle I set about the inside line pinging a good pinch of bronze maggots every minute.
The same feeding pattern was the same for my waggler line but with casters.
Straight away I was into dace at 9m and it by alternating depths slightly I was able to keep fish between 3 and 6oz fish coming for the first 30mins.
I then changed rigs cut a large worm in half and hooked both ends and shipped out to 13m when the float buried. Game on I thought as I lifted into what I thought was bream number one.... wrong! A perch of about an ounce! Then the same again.
Then nothing. I waited, dragged, lifted, held back, inched through but that float would not go under again.
I decided to run the waggler through and return back to it, the wind was a nightmare, swirling, blowing up and downstream making presentation impossible so that went up the bank, back to 9m where the dace were still present and still hungry for bronze maggots. Switching between lines it became apparent that the bream were being quite elusive before a put in with 3 reds on the hook gave me and indication and the float slipped away.
Elastic showed me that this was a much better fish and it really woke up as it came close to the net. A really good chub, in lovely condition and very thick across its back was soon in the net, a couple of looks again at 13m saw a bit less 15 minutes before I decided to re-feed with top up ball.
2 worm tails and a caster saw the float slide away again but this time the culprit wasn't stopping. It powered off into mid river me adding a section and following it. 10 solid set quite tight was no match for this steam train as it just kept going upriver, my 0.12 bottom saw me off as the fish now decided it was heading to Wakefield.
Ping!
Gone.
Gutted.
Back at 9m I worked hard for bites and finished with a nice stamp of dace about 8oz. I never had another indication at 13m and when Mr Pike took up residence after my dace I decided enough was enough. I finished up with about 15lb of dace, a couple of nice perch and that chub.
No bream today and a failure to stop a steam train. One of those lesser spotted Calder Barbel me thinks.
What a great day though. Watching a kingfisher work the river and the swallows above me made for a welcome return to running water this season. Not to mention the peace and quiet!

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Advertisement.

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

biggsy
Life Member

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 24 June 2017 :  3:54:13 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggsy to your friends list

Good write up, looks a nice stretch and nice to see the dace showing. Is it below or above Wakey?

Go to Top of Page

dandan2000
Life Member

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 24 June 2017 :  4:26:02 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dandan2000 to your friends list

It's below, behind birkwood farm just as you get into Altofts.

Go to Top of Page

biggsy
Life Member

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 24 June 2017 :  4:52:03 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggsy to your friends list

Is it the river stretch that belongs to Dick at Birkwood?

Go to Top of Page

dandan2000
Life Member

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 24 June 2017 :  7:01:05 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dandan2000 to your friends list

Yes.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

biggsy
Life Member

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 24 June 2017 :  8:48:28 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggsy to your friends list

Deeper pegs are just behind the Thatched House pub just off the bend, some good dace on the straight opposite the sewerage plant but the streamer weed is usually a problem. Fishes better if you can catch it running off. Plenty of chub like in your photo and a good head of roach but like you say pike can be a pest. Had the odd barbel down where the island splits but no bream. Should be in there though as Mirfields length at Mexborough below Frosts dam produces good weights of bream in autumn

Go to Top of Page

matchstickman25
Life Member

Durham

Posted - 25 June 2017 :  12:32:22 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add matchstickman25 to your friends list

wish my dog was so well behaved, I'd of had a double figures of broken pole sections and empty plastic bottles at the end of the day.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2020 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.11 seconds.