The Maggotdrowners Forum - Holiday in the Wye valley
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Old Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

** THE MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM HAS MOVED **

To go to the New Forums please click this link: THE NEW MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM

Important - If this is your first time logging into the new Forums you will need to reset your Password
as your previous password will not work - Click to Reset Password

If you have any problems logging in or resetting your password, please contact us with your Username and Email Address using this link Contact Us and we will get you back in as soon as possible. Alternatively email HELP@maggotdrowning.com with your name and username

The Maggotdrowners Forums have moved however the content of the old forum can stll be viewed even though no further replies can be added. All this content (and more) can be found by going to our new forums. To go to the New Maggotdrowning.com Forums please click this link: THE NEW MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM

All Forums
 Fishing
 Where You Fished Today
 Holiday in the Wye valley
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Ivan heaphurst
Life Member

Gt.Manchester
England

Posted - 11 July 2017 :  8:25:38 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Ivan heaphurst to your friends list

That time of the year already when the Heaphurst annual pilgrimage to Lower Lydbrook comes around. I was happy to see it raining the week before we travelled for I knew that the river would be low and clear. The rain gave it a flush through but did nothing for the colour, clear as a bell when we arrived. Still it would be Tuesday before I could get on and ply my trade. Tuesday arrived and I set out for the landing stage below George, the river keepers hut.
Float rod set up with a large homemade Avon float carrying a fair bit of weight. For although the river was low and clear it was still going through at a rate of knots. First run down with an 8mil banded pellet brought a Chub of no mean proportions pushing 5lb. Plenty more Chub followed but no Barbel this time on the float and pin.
The next venture out was to the same peg but with the feeder rod. I have fished here many times over the years and it never fails to disappoint even if I blank, a beautiful part of the world. Anyhow first chuck and Away after ten minutes, niceBarbel of 5/6 pound. Fair start but then nothing for the next hour then two more in consecutive casts. About the size of the first but gave a good account of themselves. The sun was now up in all it's glory and that was the end of the entertainment for the morning. Again caught on pellet 8 and14mil below a feeder packed with goodies. I did take the float rod and had a couple of small Chub again, the river seems full of them.
The next trip to the river was to somefast water downstream of the hut. Sat on my box in the river with wellies on. Casting over to the far bank. I might add that I was fishing of a stoney beach that dropped away to the far bank. I used to fish here but from the other bank in years gone by. Two reasons why I can't do that now are, I couldn't walk that far, secondly the bridge over the river has been closed for safety these past two years. Anyway I had a few Barbel from here it wasn't the easiest peg to fish but it offered a challenge that I felt I had to go for. Four Barbel was a good return from shallow water.
Next up a couple of days later was the pool at the bottom of the stretch, fishing off an old Salmon groyne
. Stuck out in the river can be a bit daunting when it 15ft one side. And 6ft the other.
The fish proved to be in front of me two thirds the way across the river.the first four came on the feeder with pellet. The following eight came on the float and centrepin. It doesn't get any better than this as far as I am concerned, the raw power of these fish without being encumbered by the weight of a swimfeeder is something to be experienced. It makes your arm ache that I can say but it is a nice ache.
That was it for the fortnight as far as the river went. I did have a day on Redhill Farm, Monmouth when I took my five year old Grandson. And we caught fish before Grandma came to take him for lunch and let Grandad get at the Carp with crust. That I did to the tune of 30 odd fish to 5lb before packing up shop at 5-00. Nice place Redhill friendly owner Colin and only 6-00 a day.
Back home now and basking in some memories of fish caught and days enjoyed on this most magnificent of rivers, the Wye.

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Advertisement.

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Beltaine

Gloucestershire
United Kingdom

Posted - 12 July 2017 :  03:50:19 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Beltaine to your friends list

I always thought that stretch was salmon anglers only, not for us lowly coarse types ! Obviously not then. (It's about three miles from where I live.)

Edited by - Beltaine on 12 July 2017 03:53:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ivan heaphurst
Life Member

Gt.Manchester
England

Posted - 12 July 2017 :  07:07:48 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ivan heaphurst to your friends list

Then you know of George who is the river keeper. Please do Not go and fish without his permission, that is criteria that I have to adhere to. If you can do so it is well worth the hassle.

Go to Top of Page

Beltaine

Gloucestershire
United Kingdom

Posted - 12 July 2017 :  07:16:50 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Beltaine to your friends list

Thanks. I have plenty of bits of the Wye to fish though so I'm not overly bothered about there.

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2020 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.1 seconds.