The Maggotdrowners Forum - Two outta three aint bad
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Old Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

** THE MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM HAS MOVED **

To go to the New Forums please click this link: THE NEW MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM

Important - If this is your first time logging into the new Forums you will need to reset your Password
as your previous password will not work - Click to Reset Password

If you have any problems logging in or resetting your password, please contact us with your Username and Email Address using this link Contact Us and we will get you back in as soon as possible. Alternatively email HELP@maggotdrowning.com with your name and username

The Maggotdrowners Forums have moved however the content of the old forum can stll be viewed even though no further replies can be added. All this content (and more) can be found by going to our new forums. To go to the New Maggotdrowning.com Forums please click this link: THE NEW MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM

All Forums
 Fishing
 Where You Fished Today
 Two outta three aint bad
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mickthechippy
space cadet

Kent
United Kingdom

Posted - 25 June 2017 :  06:46:35 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mickthechippy to your friends list

Well today was the annual Phil Smith Memorial charity match on the Royal Military canal at Aldergate

My whole mob went, brothers, daughters, sons in law, grandaughters, the T4 fishing van and another car was required to transport what looked like the beverley hillbillies to the match venue, proper day out, love it

weather looked fine and the venue looked spot on when the black dog and myself had a few hours sojourn on the bank during the week,

draw time at 8am, meant a few sleepy heads at the arranged dads taxi pick up time at 6.45 am lol

still arriving at the venue in good time, the tribe joined in the banter and joshing with all the assembled participents, dogs were welcome and a few turned up too, to engage in arse sniffing, tail wagging and dementedly running around,

drawing peg 9, it meant a few stops along the match length dropping off various boxes, poles rods, bait, etc along the way until there was just mine left and I could get to setting up

today it was just a simple 3 top kits for the spectron pole, all fitted with NG floats teal hollow 4-6 elastic, and all NG floats finnesse 0.8/0.5/0.3 glass stemmed floats, rig lines were silk shock 0.12 to drennan silverfish size 18 maggot hooks on 0.08 bottoms

the three rigs were simple, one set for hard on the bottom, bulk shotted at 18 inches above the hook with a single no10 stotz 8 ins from the sharp bit
the second was a midwater rig, strung shotted for a fall through the water,
and the final rig was for shallow up in the water,shotted right under the float, no droppers

the whistle blew and out went a handfull of maggot down the track and a pinch or two along the marginal lilys

started on the full depth rig at 7 sections, the float held up on its way to the dark deep depths and a quick lift produced the first fish of the day, a small roach of maybe 2oz

hour or so passed, picking up a few more roach and rudd, nothing big but pretty regular, swapping between the close in marginal line and the centre track

it started drizzling lol, first rain of any sort for ages, wind picked up a bit too

bit of barking and tail wagging running around from the black dog announced the arrival of my daughter Becky bearing picnic supplies, two dirty great big rolls stuffed with 3 sossies, 2 bits bacon and smothered in cheddar cheese, she knows her old dad well my girl does,

back to it after battling my way through the first of the rolls and a massive sail away bite saw the light blue teal laccy streaming out the topkit, ooow my, I thought I had hooked a carp or a big tench, decent tussle saw a eel break surface, what a palaver that turned out to be, not only did it dive straight into the lilys but my landing net pole was just slighty too short, struggling, eventually it was on the bank, lip hooked !, just a quick twist of the slammo disgorger and it was into the keepnet, easiest eel ive had for ages and no getting covered in snot !

out again and the floats running through, bugger me I thought, that winds picked up, only to realise that the EA in thier wisdom had opened the sluice gates at west hythe, the water dropped a foot in 10 minutes, fetching with it, the dark stinky water thats mixed up from the bottom silt, it ponged, it ponged bad,

nothing for it, but to ship in and have a little wander along the bank, the feeder boys were even saying a 30 gramme cage wasnt holding, sat and ate-shared the second roll with the pup while it calmed down a bit, then noticed the levels were coming up again, they had opened the gates further up, out on the marsh to refill this section, possibly evening out the levels throughout the canal

it sorta killed the fishing a bit for an hour or so, had nothing and had to keep re plumbing the depths on the bottom line,

come three oclock and Id had a few, nothing of any size a 3/4lb skimmer being the biggest fish in the net and the all out is signalled,

big pack away, dogs gone with the scalesmen lol, nosey git, he turns back up smiling as they eventually reach me,

net out and weighed, the rueben dial scales whip round to 8lb 6oz of hard caught fish, I thought Id had a bit more, thinking 10lbish in the net, still its hard to estimate all the small fish,

back down the match stretch, loading each of the herberts up as we reach there pegs, soon saw us at the end of the track, where food, beer and cake had been laid on by the wives, nice touch, with plenty banter going on, good bunch to fish with, the consencus was it had fished hard with the draining and weights were low

presentation time

Rosie the grandaughter was called forward to pick up the Ladies trophy for the 2nd year in succesion, YAY ! well done kidda,

the biggest fish trophy was taken by a 3.5lb bream

then, It was called that Id won, taking the memorial cup for the second time in three years, next best weight was 6lb 2oz

brilliant day out, despite the small showers and water running off, everybody smiling and joshing, back again next year lads

thanks to the organisors and the ladies for the eats,

Edited by - mickthechippy on 25 June 2017 06:56:52 AM

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Advertisement.

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

160642fishing
Life Member

Cambridgeshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 25 June 2017 :  10:17:16 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 160642fishing to your friends list

Great read Mick,that's what angling should be like rather than some of the grumpy gits we seem to met on commercials,if they haven't had a hundred pounds it been a sh*t day types.

Go to Top of Page

rookery54
Life Member

Kent
United Kingdom

Posted - 25 June 2017 :  10:55:25 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rookery54 to your friends list

Great read as always Chippo
Well done on the Victory

Go to Top of Page

Peter
'Mugger'

South Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 25 June 2017 :  11:02:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list

Good read Mick and well done to you and Rosie.

Go to Top of Page

bagger7
tomo

Norfolk
United Kingdom

Posted - 25 June 2017 :  8:43:22 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bagger7 to your friends list

Who do you fish with mick ? sanque ports or ashford and where is the match stretch please

jon

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

mickthechippy
space cadet

Kent
United Kingdom

Posted - 25 June 2017 :  9:41:12 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mickthechippy to your friends list

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...!4d0.9977124

its a cinque ports controlled water, available to fish on a day ticket, 5, available on the bank daily, baliff comes around, fishing both sides of the bridge
eastern bank is drivable if you park your car just off the track next to the canal bank, to allow other vehicles past-farm traffic, dont drive into the crops, farmer gets arsey and car access will be denied

there are no facilities at all

water suffers less than the rest of the canal in summer with weed due to the depths, its top 4 deep down the track, ranging from 6ft to 12 feet in places, margins vary between 4 footish to 5 foot

all species are found there from roach and rudd to very good sizes, big perch, pike, carp (33lb wild one taken early on in year) tench, and bream,

peaceful, though you hear the big cats at the safari park, or the occassional red baron looping the loop above your head,

good baits are maggot, caster, worm, corn and pellet, night angling will bring the speci bream, tench and carp out,

Edited by - mickthechippy on 25 June 2017 9:42:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

bezzer
Life Member

Warwickshire
England

Posted - 26 June 2017 :  09:58:01 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bezzer to your friends list

Great read Mick.

And well done!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2020 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.11 seconds.