The Maggotdrowners Forum - Time For Tench
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Old Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

** THE MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM HAS MOVED **

To go to the New Forums please click this link: THE NEW MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM

Important - If this is your first time logging into the new Forums you will need to reset your Password
as your previous password will not work - Click to Reset Password

If you have any problems logging in or resetting your password, please contact us with your Username and Email Address using this link Contact Us and we will get you back in as soon as possible. Alternatively email HELP@maggotdrowning.com with your name and username

The Maggotdrowners Forums have moved however the content of the old forum can stll be viewed even though no further replies can be added. All this content (and more) can be found by going to our new forums. To go to the New Maggotdrowning.com Forums please click this link: THE NEW MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM

All Forums
 Fishing
 Where You Fished Today
 Time For Tench
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Simon R
Life Member

Teesside
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 27 June 2017 :  8:12:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Simon R's Homepage  Click to see Simon R's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this topic Add Simon R to your friends list

Second all-nighter of the season was held (by kind permission) on the now syndicate controlled Tontine Lake. The first all-nighter back in May was a disappointing affair being won with a single tench which was possibly the smallest in the lake at 1lb 1oz.

The very hot weather of earlier in the week had fortunately cooled down a little and driving down the lake the temperature gauge in the car read a pleasant 19C. Forecast was for sunny spells and a fairly clear night – and remaining pretty breezy. There were only four of us present for the 7pm draw – Kev being unable to find a dog-sitter for the night. We had a quick roving draw and after Steve had plumped for peg one and Tink for the island (peg 15) I dropped into peg 18 – George trotted around to the far side of the lake to the bench peg (8).

I needed 20 minutes with the weed-rake to re-establish the clear area of the peg just to the left and I also cleared an area adjacent to the lilies in my right-hand margin.

Three rods may be used in this fixture so I used a pair of feeder rods with large method feeders on the business ends baited with pop-up boilies / plastic corn or big bunches of maggots. The third rod I set up with heavy float gear to fish the margin – it had to be heavy to prevent the hoped for tench reaching the lily pads upon being hooked.

Shouting time at 9pm I dropped my two method feeders into the large clear area to my let – popped up corn on one rood and a bunch of maggots on the other. The float (also baited with maggot) I dropped almost off the rod-end next to the lily pads. A couple of good handfuls of caster followed the float into the water. Half an hour later the float slid away in a most tench like fashion, a firm strike saw a startled little perch come flying out of the water. It wasn’t really what I wanted to see but at least I knew my hookbait was being presented in a fashion that made it attractive to the fish and wasn’t getting fouled up in the weed.

I lobbed in some more casters and recast my method feeders a couple of times before it got too dark to be accurate – which just a couple of days after the summer solstice is about 11pm up here.

Tink came round for a chin-wag and had seen no action either, nor had he spotted Steve or George doing battle with anything sizeable. There was no action overnight, although I wasn’t too surprised ‘cos there rarely is – checking back on my records the vast majority of tench caught both by myself and others seem to occur after 6am and I regularly catch fish after the match has finished at 10 & 11am.I have a theory that’s it something to do with the sun on the water – the eastern bank of the lake is shaded by both the North York moors and copious tree cover and hence does not receive direct sunlight until a good couple of hours after sunrise.

However, on this occasion it wasn’t to be, despite a number of changes of bait and methods, bobbins remained motionless and floats refused to sink. I caught 4 or 5 ‘bits’ on the whip but that was it.

There’d been plenty of fish cruising about in front of Tink both prior to nightfall and first thing – sizeable carp bow-waving across the surface and other fish roling but none of them seemed interested in feeding as he registered the dreaded DNW.

I didn’t get a lot more – half-a-dozen small fish for 6oz.

Round on peg one Steve had had a busy morning – popped up boilies and corn accounting for three nice sized tench – the best going 4lb 6oz and the three together 11lb 5oz – together with a few bits he weighed 11lb 10oz.

George hadn’t found anything decent either 13oz of ‘bits’ being all he could muster.

Next up we’ve the final round of the Evening Series at Dromonby Farm on Wednesday 5th July, followed by the float only match at Mount Lodge Farm on Sunday 9th July – the latter decided on points as usual (1 point/fish + 1 point/ounce).
Room for a couple of guests at Dromonby Farm but members only at Mount Lodge.

A few places still available for the Tontine syndicate if anyone fancies getting amongst a few tench - plus bream and maybe the odd carp.

Simon

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Advertisement.

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

RedhillPhil
Life Member

Cornwall
United Kingdom

Posted - 03 July 2017 :  12:58:12 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RedhillPhil to your friends list

Mmmm, Tench. So much nicer than those c*** things.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login © Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2020 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.11 seconds.