The Maggotdrowners Forum - Maver Abyss X seat box
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Tackle and Baits
 Tackle Reviews
 Maver Abyss X seat box
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

allanb
Life Member

Cambridgeshire

Posted - 13 January 2014 :  3:18:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit allanb's Homepage Bookmark this topic Add allanb to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Review and modifications

Since the late 1980's I'd always used a Daiwa (plastic) seat box that I had fitted with an Octoplus leg system. It had served me well but the constant emptying to find an item of tackle at the bottom was a pain. So following my return to angling I decided to buy a modern seat box.

Whilst I like to watch the pennies I didn't want to buy something that would fall apart within 10 minutes. After much internet browsing I stumbled across the Maver Abyss X seat box. I then found one for 80 (rrp 99.99) and decided to bite the bullet.

The Maver Abyss X seat box has two front drawers and one cross drawer that can be opened from either side. It also has a good size base unit for storing reels etc.

The first thing that I was wary of was the pole tray space under the seat. It is made so it can be opened from either side. The downside to this is that it is easy for the seat to be opened too far, either by being clumsy or a gust of wind which could result in broken hinges and tackle on the floor...

To combat this I used a thin chain and two D ring picture hanging brackets. It was an easy job to drill and pop rivet the D rings resulting in a "check strap" - this prevents the seat lid from opening too far. The trade off is that the lid can only be opened from one side now.

As I'm extremely new to the pole I decided that the under seat section would be best suited for storing my running line floats. I purchased some extra wide float foam, heated the backing up with a hair dryer and then applied it.

The whole seat box can be opened giving access to the base unit. Again, by design it can be opened from either side but the possibility of the box going over too far and resulting in a breakage didn't appeal. To prevent this I again used a section of stronger chain and two D ring fixtures.

The top of the base section has a nice recess. I used a couple of lengths of elastic "borrowed" from SWMBO sewing box. Measured them out and sewed a D ring fastener to each end. I then pop riveted the elastics into the base. This enables me to slide my old Preston Innovations pole winder box into place. I dare say that as my pole fishing experience increases then another pair of straps will be added for additional rig storage.

The drawers of the box have foam around the insides to prevent damage to tackle but have no dividers. For the front facing drawers I used a couple of plastic boxes and some 1mm (might have been 0.8mm) aluminium sheet that I had knocking about in the shed. I shaped the aluminium and then used the double sided 3M tape that is used in the motor industry to fix body mouldings on. Just remove the backing and heat up with a hair dryer. This worked well but looked a bit mish mash so I raided SWMBO "craft box" and found some sticky backed plastic with a felt like texture. 5 minutes later and the drawers are much more friendly on the eye. Though the front drawers are retained by magnet I knew that I would still pull them out too far and dump the contents on the floor. To help me prevent doing so I used Tipex and marked a "safety" line on each drawer.

For the cross drawer I found that one of the trays from my old Daiwa tackle box fitted like a dream. I then used a small piece of aluminium and 3M tape to fabricate a divider at the end and again used the sticky backed plastic felt for a more professional finish.

That's it so far and nothing has broken or fallen off (yet?) ;)

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

allanb
Life Member

Cambridgeshire

Posted - 13 January 2014 :  3:37:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit allanb's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add allanb to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Perhaps I should have added to my original post. I am not sponsored by Maver and nor do I have any commercial interest in anything I post.

Thank you
A

Go to Top of Page

satsuma1968
Life Member

Leicestershire
United Kingdom

Posted - 13 January 2014 :  4:59:58 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add satsuma1968 to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Nice review and the diy touches add to make the seatbox more user friendly

Go to Top of Page

april9092

Derbyshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 13 January 2014 :  8:02:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit april9092's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add april9092 to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

great thought put into get the most from your box well done.

Go to Top of Page

bedworthmark

Warwickshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 13 January 2014 :  8:29:59 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bedworthmark to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

That's how tidy my box starts , but by the end. Well . LOL

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

panda1975
Life Member

Gloucestershire
United Kingdom

Posted - 13 January 2014 :  10:34:13 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add panda1975 to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

you seemed to of crammed alot of stuff tidily into such a small box n1

Go to Top of Page

lucc
Life Member

France

Posted - 14 January 2014 :  07:39:31 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lucc to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

I like the D ring stuff, good idea...
Still think that a footplate is really necessary.

Go to Top of Page

rabc
Life Member

Tyne and Wear
United Kingdom

Posted - 14 January 2014 :  7:16:54 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rabc to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

was thinking about getting the MXI Series 101 but the abyss x looks bigger so might have to have a rethink.........Top marks for the handywork by the way.

Go to Top of Page

DAF 3600
Life Member

Lancashire

Posted - 15 January 2014 :  5:11:28 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DAF 3600 to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Hi, What brand of float foam did you use, the latest Middy is very poor quality. I need to replace my Middy foam in my box and the stuff you have used seems to be A1. Regards DAF 3600

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

allanb
Life Member

Cambridgeshire

Posted - 15 January 2014 :  7:52:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit allanb's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add allanb to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Hi Daf I got in on evilbay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331086555....m1439.l2649

No commercial interest, just a happy customer.

Go to Top of Page

DAF 3600
Life Member

Lancashire

Posted - 16 January 2014 :  1:47:19 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DAF 3600 to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Thanks for the quick reply Alan, just ordered now.

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

geoff108
Life Member

West Yorkshire
England

Posted - 20 January 2014 :  9:59:01 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add geoff108 to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Thanks for the review been looking for a Lighter/Smaller box than my present Milo(weighs a ton)!
Price wise best I found on line was 79.99.
I saw go-outdoors had the box in stock at 89.99 so tried there price match just received this message back from them:-
Thank you for making a Price Guarantee enquiry with GO Outdoors.

I can confirm that your price challenge has been accepted and I am pleased to offer you the Maver Abyss X 3-Drawer Seat Box at the Tackle UK price minus 10% meaning you will pay 71.99.
Will place my order tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

ukrottie
Nobby

Leicestershire
United Kingdom

Posted - 21 January 2014 :  09:23:58 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ukrottie to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Nice one Geoff

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

rabc
Life Member

Tyne and Wear
United Kingdom

Posted - 18 February 2014 :  6:25:05 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rabc to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Any idea if the Maver MX attatchments fit the legs of the abyss,the ones off my last box are too small.

Edited by - rabc on 23 February 2014 03:59:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

allanb
Life Member

Cambridgeshire

Posted - 24 February 2014 :  2:33:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit allanb's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add allanb to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

I think the Maver MX attachments are universal and fit both square and round legs. I use all sorts on mine. The legs are 20mm square.

Hope that helps

Go to Top of Page

rabc
Life Member

Tyne and Wear
United Kingdom

Posted - 25 February 2014 :  5:44:30 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rabc to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Cheers.

Go to Top of Page

allanb
Life Member

Cambridgeshire

Posted - 09 June 2014 :  5:22:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit allanb's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add allanb to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

An update. The legs are 19mm and not 20mm so the PI extending legs fit. Anyway, it is used 2 - 3 times a week and hasn't fallen apart (yet).

Mike (my fishing mate) gave me a used Daiwa 75 seat box minus the foot platform. The leg brackets were knackered and had been repaired with other sized rivets but the box was still wobbly. My initial intentions was to repair it and use it for rivers and canals. I still might do that as I have now repaired the wobbly legs and it's stable again. However, it became obvious that the Daiwa 75 seat box was/is manufactured in the same factory as my existing Maver seat box.

The seat box sections clip directly onto the Maver so now I have additional storage. 4 front drawers, 2 side drawers and even more pole rig storage.

Front view.

Rear view.

I'm actually using it now with the Maver section above the Daiwa section, not as pictured.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

pies
Life Member

Kent

Posted - 20 June 2014 :  10:24:44 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pies to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Nice set up,I like the storage of the winders in the lid

Go to Top of Page

Thomas888

Posted - 04 December 2016 :  02:08:48 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Thomas888 to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Hi guys! First of all, I apologise for any mistakes in my English. I want to buy a footplate to my maver abyss seatbox. I saw many universal model on the market( grandeslam, koala) but they don't sell overseas, only grandeslam, but i want a really massive, which hold my 13m pole, when i don,t sit on the box. I found a maver mx1, or the preston monster feeder chair footplate, but i'm not sure with the widht. The legs are 19mm square. Any tips? Thank you in advance!

Go to Top of Page

Septeluna247

Bedfordshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 01 April 2017 :  3:47:12 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Septeluna247 to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Thank you for the pictures and info on the box. I've just picked one up from go-outdoors on their price match thingy wot sit. Got it for 67.49 instead of 99 so now off to get some chain and a few "d" rings.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2017 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.11 seconds.