The Maggotdrowners Forum - Maver Oculus 999 pole
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Tackle and Baits
 Tackle Reviews
 Maver Oculus 999 pole
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Mark Dicko
Life Member

East Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 07 March 2016 :  09:03:46 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Mark Dicko to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

First thing that attracted me to this pole was the wall strength and stiffness. Maver poles are new ground for me so I thought I would take the plunge and give one a try.
Ian's tackle despatched the pole quickly and at the right price.

5 power lite kits as standard, prebushed and with side pulla slots, one match kit and a cupping kit with cups, 3 Maver clean caps and deluxe holdall all included in the package.

After close inspection and setting it up in the garden, I must admit I was immediately impressed, it is stiff, light, well balanced and has good wall strength , not spongy at all.

Fished with it on Saturday, in horrendous conditions ! Strong side winds , hail and rain, had to fish across at 14.5 m to catch, the wind was blowing and many times spun me around , the pole was hammered by this wind and I was lucky to get 10 seconds before the wind hampered my presentation. These conditions would have snapped my previous pole I reckon? The Oculus never even creaked ! I was the only angler in my section brave or stupid enough to fish long. Caught 3 carp for 12 lb and a section 2 nd. This pole passed a tough test and handled it no problem, it just feels right and I felt confident with its strength. Time will tell of course, but I would tackle the margins with this pole too, and I will give it a go and see how it copes. It weighs 1400 grams at 16 m. For under a grand I think this pole could be the one I,ve been searching for, one that can do it all ? We will see.

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

powerarm
maverjase

Midlands West
United Kingdom

Posted - 07 March 2016 :  3:46:46 PM  Show Profile  Send powerarm an AOL message Bookmark this reply Add powerarm to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

happy days sounds good and at the right money

Go to Top of Page

chefster
Shedster!!

Site Supporter

Oxfordshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 07 March 2016 :  7:24:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit chefster's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add chefster to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by Mark Dicko

First thing that attracted me to this pole was the wall strength and stiffness. Maver poles are new ground for me so I thought I would take the plunge and give one a try.
Ian's tackle despatched the pole quickly and at the right price.

5 power lite kits as standard, prebushed and with side pulla slots, one match kit and a cupping kit with cups, 3 Maver clean caps and deluxe holdall all included in the package.

After close inspection and setting it up in the garden, I must admit I was immediately impressed, it is stiff, light, well balanced and has good wall strength , not spongy at all.

Fished with it on Saturday, in horrendous conditions ! Strong side winds , hail and rain, had to fish across at 14.5 m to catch, the wind was blowing and many times spun me around , the pole was hammered by this wind and I was lucky to get 10 seconds before the wind hampered my presentation. These conditions would have snapped my previous pole I reckon? The Oculus never even creaked ! I was the only angler in my section brave or stupid enough to fish long. Caught 3 carp for 12 lb and a section 2 nd. This pole passed a tough test and handled it no problem, it just feels right and I felt confident with its strength. Time will tell of course, but I would tackle the margins with this pole too, and I will give it a go and see how it copes. It weighs 1400 grams at 16 m. For under a grand I think this pole could be the one I,ve been searching for, one that can do it all ? We will see.
Nice review Mark,and nice to hear positive comments about Maver poles!!!cheers,Gazza

www.miraclebaits.com
Go to Top of Page

swizz tony

West Yorkshire
England

Posted - 08 March 2016 :  6:45:30 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add swizz tony to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

A better review than Iv'e read in the mag's, well done

Go to Top of Page

JLK
Life Member

Site Supporter

United Kingdom

Posted - 10 March 2016 :  6:02:29 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLK to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Have you been able to use any other top kits on this pole Mark?

Such as your tks top kits?

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Carter.j
Life Member

Posted - 10 March 2016 :  11:02:44 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Carter.j to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Handled the oculus 799 pole @ fosters the other day. Was very impressed for the money. Looking at changing my Maver messiah.

Would the powerlight kits be okay for lighter elastics? I fish rivers and canals

Go to Top of Page

powerarm
maverjase

Midlands West
United Kingdom

Posted - 11 March 2016 :  1:14:45 PM  Show Profile  Send powerarm an AOL message Bookmark this reply Add powerarm to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

if there the slotted ones you will have to put a bead on it to stop it going into the slot

Go to Top of Page

Mark Dicko
Life Member

East Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 11 March 2016 :  9:36:11 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mark Dicko to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

TKS top kits fit it yes.
Power lite kits look ok for everything, very light and strong

Go to Top of Page

Mark Dicko
Life Member

East Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 08 April 2016 :  1:21:29 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mark Dicko to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

A month on and the pole continues to perform well so far.
Had plenty of carp on it and a 17lb 7oz Ghostie on a match last Saturday.... that tested this pole out ! Used it for everything, margins, far bank rat holes, it performs well up to 14.5m and remains stiff and well balanced, it does go a little at 16m but don,t they all ?? Very pleased with it so far, will comment again in another month or so when I,ve had chance to slap it shalla !

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

monkmachine

Hampshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 15 April 2016 :  4:58:00 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add monkmachine to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Really considering getting this pole, how do the walls of the pole feel? Not too soft?

Go to Top of Page

Kirtons
Life Member

Site Supporter

Posted - 15 April 2016 :  8:45:26 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kirtons to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Heard great stuff about this and the Preston m50. The 1k Pole these days has come of leaps and bounds.

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Mark Dicko
Life Member

East Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 15 April 2016 :  8:47:28 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mark Dicko to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

[quote][monkmachine Posted - Today : 4:58:00 PM
Really considering getting this pole, how do the walls of the pole feel? Not too soft?
/quote]

Walls are strong mate, not soft like some previous maver models

Go to Top of Page

monkmachine

Hampshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 15 April 2016 :  9:59:30 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add monkmachine to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

I'm still using my old 412 from the late 90's. I think I'm gonna go for it, just need to find a way to get it without the Mrs noticing. I've found it on TackleUK for 895

https://www.tackleuk.co.uk/Shop/Pol...Pole-16m.htm

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

fishhead
toon barmy

Tyne and Wear
England

Posted - 17 April 2016 :  7:27:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit fishhead's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add fishhead to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by monkmachine

I'm still using my old 412 from the late 90's. I think I'm gonna go for it, just need to find a way to get it without the Mrs noticing. I've found it on TackleUK for 895

https://www.tackleuk.co.uk/Shop/Pol...Pole-16m.htm
Just clicked that link mate and I noticed the description says Maver Oculus 999 but the photo is a 799. I'd check to make sure before ordering if I were you, just to be sure.

Edited by - fishhead on 17 April 2016 10:11:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

monkmachine

Hampshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 18 April 2016 :  9:38:30 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add monkmachine to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Thanks matey but I checked and it is the 999. They're out of stock even tho the website says in stock. I'm going for a drive later this week to go collect from Fosters or benwick-sports. I want it for the bank holiday weekend.

Go to Top of Page

0lly
Life Member

Staffordshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 19 April 2016 :  8:12:51 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 0lly to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Phone Ians tackle in penkridge and ask to speak to Ian. Tell him the price you have seen it for and see if he will get close.

Go to Top of Page

Mark Dicko
Life Member

East Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 19 April 2016 :  9:32:03 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mark Dicko to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Definitely give Ian's tackle a call.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Mark Dicko
Life Member

East Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 21 April 2016 :  07:59:21 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mark Dicko to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

f

Oculus at 14.5 m

Go to Top of Page

monkmachine

Hampshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 21 April 2016 :  5:09:19 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add monkmachine to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

I went to see Ian today, nice guy :D Roll on next Sunday so I can try it out!

Go to Top of Page

fishhead
toon barmy

Tyne and Wear
England

Posted - 28 April 2016 :  9:51:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit fishhead's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add fishhead to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Just bought myself one of these. Arrived today, seems a good solid piece of kit. The walls are much stronger than my last Maver (though I still never managed to break any sections). Got a fishing trip booked for next Thursday so can't wait to try it out.

Cheers Mark Dicko for the review.

Go to Top of Page

JLK
Life Member

Site Supporter

United Kingdom

Posted - 29 April 2016 :  08:06:38 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLK to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

What was your last maver ?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2017 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.34 seconds.