The Maggotdrowners Forum - Whips
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Talk
 Whips
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

pikeman1901
Life Member

Sussex

Posted - 12 September 2016 :  9:16:29 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add pikeman1901 to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Fishing a winter league team match yesterday and the bream/ tench fishing was very very slow, I noticed a lot of the more experienced match anglers started fishing to hand with whips , I feel I need to add one of these bad boys to my armoury , my question is fixed line or elasticated ????

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Bill G
Grandad

Sussex
England

Posted - 12 September 2016 :  9:24:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill G's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Bill G to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

I HAVE A SIX LATEX IN THE TOP SECTION OF MY FIVE METRE WHIP. ANYTHING LONGER I JUST USE THE POLE TO HAND ,AND DEPENDING ON THE SIZE OF FISH DEPENDS ON WHICH ELASTICATED TOP I WILL HAVE ON .
DAM CAPS LOCK WAS ON ,cant be arsed to retype.

Go to Top of Page

Irkthepurists
Life Member

Posted - 12 September 2016 :  9:29:24 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Irkthepurists to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Question is are you likely to encounter bigger bonus fish, if not the flick tip is the way to go, it will still deal with the occasional bonus fish with TLC. If better fish are more regular the elastic can help!!

Go to Top of Page

Kirtons
Life Member

Site Supporter

Posted - 12 September 2016 :  9:36:22 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kirtons to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Flick tip

Go to Top of Page

DiscoDave1987
Dave

Site Supporter

United Kingdom

Posted - 12 September 2016 :  10:50:12 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DiscoDave1987 to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by Bill G

I HAVE A SIX LATEX IN THE TOP SECTION OF MY FIVE METRE WHIP. ANYTHING LONGER I JUST USE THE POLE TO HAND ,AND DEPENDING ON THE SIZE OF FISH DEPENDS ON WHICH ELASTICATED TOP I WILL HAVE ON .

Not that it matters but if you highlight the text then hold shift and press F3 it will change the text to lowercase without needing to re-type.

Boring fact for ou there lol.

Like a lizard at the water hole, always flat out.
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Bill G
Grandad

Sussex
England

Posted - 12 September 2016 :  10:55:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill G's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Bill G to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by DiscoDave1987

quote :

Not that it matters but if you highlight the text then hold shift and press F3 it will change the text to lowercase without needing to re-type.

top man cheers

Go to Top of Page

sly
Life Member

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
United Kingdom

looking out for private plate no 2 (dig dig)

Posted - 12 September 2016 :  10:58:25 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sly to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

b^gg^r wrong whips

Go to Top of Page

Bill G
Grandad

Sussex
England

Posted - 12 September 2016 :  11:06:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill G's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Bill G to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by sly

b^gg^r wrong whips

sly by name ,kinky by nature

Go to Top of Page

Neil ofthe nene
Life Member

Site Supporter

Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

I'm not Alan Scotthorne

Posted - 13 September 2016 :  07:34:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Neil ofthe nene's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Neil ofthe nene to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

If it has elastic it's not a whip. It is then just top couple of sections of your pole to hand.

Average club angler who seems to get the right methods sorted halfway through a match, just in time to say "if only"

http://neilofthenene.blogspot.co.uk/

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

nutmeg
Life Member

Cheshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 13 September 2016 :  08:11:46 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nutmeg to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Flick tip every time.

Go to Top of Page

frankg
Life Member

Site Supporter

Merseyside
United Kingdom

Living in God's country.....Wirral

Posted - 13 September 2016 :  08:13:34 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add frankg to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

I've just got into whip fishing...really enjoying it...at the weekend spent an hour on the pole for 3 small fish then went on the whip....ended up with over 18lb of silvers. Great method!! :)

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

nejohn
Life Member

Gwent
United Kingdom

Posted - 13 September 2016 :  08:17:50 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nejohn to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

I have a Daiwa system whip, it comes with both a flick tip and a match top 2 so it gives me both options I will use the flick tip if i am really just getting small fish and the match tip with a No4 elastic if there is a chance of the odd bonus fish, yes I agree once you put an elastic in it is just a short pole but at least it gives me the option of both especially if I need to short line as it is a take apart not telescopic

Go to Top of Page

frankg
Life Member

Site Supporter

Merseyside
United Kingdom

Posted - 13 September 2016 :  10:05:53 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add frankg to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

I'm considering taking about 10cm off one of the flick tips to make it just slightly more beefy.....what is the best way to trim down a solid carbon tip?

Edited by - frankg on 13 September 2016 10:06:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Bill G
Grandad

Sussex
England

Posted - 13 September 2016 :  10:11:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill G's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Bill G to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by frankg

I'm considering taking about 10cm off one of the flick tips to make it just slightly more beefy.....what is the best way to trim down a solid carbon tip?

just use a junior hacksaw .put a bit of tape around the tip first ,this will stop splintering .

Go to Top of Page

lovemyfishing

Warwickshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 13 September 2016 :  10:33:22 PM  Show Profile  Click to see lovemyfishing's MSN Messenger address  Send lovemyfishing a Yahoo! Message Bookmark this reply Add lovemyfishing to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

I use a middy xflex 4g. I have landed fish to 10Ib comes with spare top section. Must admit it took a while to get the larger fish in but the whip managed. I don't go anywhere without it.

Go to Top of Page

frankg
Life Member

Site Supporter

Merseyside
United Kingdom

Posted - 13 September 2016 :  10:33:38 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add frankg to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Ok thanks Bill

Go to Top of Page

bigdavewsf
Life Member

Merseyside

Posted - 13 September 2016 :  11:30:12 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bigdavewsf to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by DiscoDave1987

quote :

this works on word...just not on forums

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

blue orfe
Life Member

Site Supporter

Berkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 14 September 2016 :  08:20:32 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blue orfe to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by frankg

You will bump fish if you do that, the idea if the flick tip is it is soft and acts like an elastic does.

Go to Top of Page

frankg
Life Member

Site Supporter

Merseyside
United Kingdom

Posted - 14 September 2016 :  12:15:00 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add frankg to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Hi Blue

This is on a Prestons absolute whip....I've got the 4m and 5m versions.
The 5m has a slightly longer & finer tip than the 4m.
I used the 4m on Saturday and ended up with over 18lb of silvers with a couple of missed bites but no bump-offs, so it worked fine.
So my thinking was to make it the same as the 4m, which still has a fine tip...about 1mm. The 5m tip is about 0.6 to 0.7mm

Go to Top of Page

BoldBear
Life Member

Hertfordshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 14 September 2016 :  12:33:24 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BoldBear to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

I have several Whips (3 Mtrs 5 Mtrs and 7 Mtrs) non of them are elasticated whips and all have very fine flick tips enabling fine hooklengths to be used when needed.

The 5 mtr whip is hardly ever used simply because the bottom 2 sections of the 7 mtr whip are push in sections which can be added and removed so it can also be used at 5 mtrs and still have 2 more sections to add if I hook a rogue carp.

Although it is not designed for big fish it can still deal with the odd 5 or 6lb fish because I can add the put over sections at will while I am playing the fish.

I bought my whips mainly for winter matches on the canals and they have all been instrumental in getting me placed in quite a few winter team matches over the years plus they are quite good fun to use.

Keith

Edited by - BoldBear on 14 September 2016 12:37:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

NathanWatson
Life Member

Lincolnshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 14 September 2016 :  12:55:41 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NathanWatson to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by pikeman1901

Fishing a winter league team match yesterday and the bream/ tench fishing was very very slow, I noticed a lot of the more experienced match anglers started fishing to hand with whips , I feel I need to add one of these bad boys to my armoury , my question is fixed line or elasticated ????

Winter league!?

Where was this? I don't own a whip and very rare I think I'm missing out.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2017 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.41 seconds.