The Maggotdrowners Forum - Whips
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Talk
 Whips
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

frankg
Life Member

Site Supporter

Merseyside
United Kingdom

Living in God's country.....Wirral

Posted - 14 September 2016 :  1:17:31 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add frankg to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Hi Keith

I've only just started using whips but they're great fun!
I've got the absolute 4m & 5m as I said but like you, also have a take apart one (9m Tricast Competition Whip) which will certainly handle larger fish!
It's just such a simple way of fishing....and very effective.

Go to Top of Page

blue orfe
Life Member

Site Supporter

Berkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 14 September 2016 :  1:31:58 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blue orfe to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by pikeman1901

Fishing a winter league team match yesterday and the bream/ tench fishing was very very slow, I noticed a lot of the more experienced match anglers started fishing to hand with whips , I feel I need to add one of these bad boys to my armoury , my question is fixed line or elasticated ????

Surely you can just use your normal pole if you want an elasticated top, I don't get why people elasticate whips, defeats the object.

Go to Top of Page

C.S.H
Life Member

Warwickshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 14 September 2016 :  2:00:51 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add C.S.H to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

My Daiwa Airity whip is a fraction of the diameter of my Tourney pro pole at every length up to the max 7m. It is also considerably stronger.

You would be mad to try and use a pole to hand in the same way as an elasticated whip.

I have a no.6 elastic tight through the top three tele sections on two of my top kits and use if there is a chance of a chub or big perch among the dace on the whip line. On many of the matches I fish the one bonus with the bits wins money. The elastic improves chances of getting out. Also cushions the lunges of kipper dace in fast current.

Use the flick tip only when absolutely sure its a bits only affair!

Go to Top of Page

blue orfe
Life Member

Site Supporter

Berkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 14 September 2016 :  4:33:38 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blue orfe to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

So you can't swing roach to hand on a Daiwa Tourney? really??

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Maesknoll
Chris

Site Supporter

Somerset

Too much work, not enough fishing!!

My Photo Album

Posted - 14 September 2016 :  4:52:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Maesknoll's Homepage  Click to see Maesknoll's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Maesknoll to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by frankg

I'm considering taking about 10cm off one of the flick tips to make it just slightly more beefy.....what is the best way to trim down a solid carbon tip?

Stanley knife, a junior hacksaw will most like splinter a fine tip. I wouldn't trim it down though, as the tip is your shock absorber, you might find you bump fish if it's too harsh.

Blog: http://maesknollmatchangling.blogspot.com/

If you're not living life on the edge.... you're taking up too much space!!
Go to Top of Page

NathanWatson
Life Member

Lincolnshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 14 September 2016 :  4:56:48 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NathanWatson to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by blue orfe

Why ya say that?

Go to Top of Page

blue orfe
Life Member

Site Supporter

Berkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 14 September 2016 :  5:14:01 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blue orfe to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by NathanWatson

quote :
Originally posted by blue orfe

Why ya say that?

Chap in post above mine (CSH) says you would be mad to.

Go to Top of Page

NoCarpPlease
Life Member

Oxfordshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 14 September 2016 :  5:22:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit NoCarpPlease's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add NoCarpPlease to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

I'm really confused by some of the views on here.

CSH is correct, a modern thin walled put over pole would risk folding with the casting and striking stresses that we subject whips to. a 1980s pole (procarbon, spiral titanium, TPGT) fished to hand is still not a whip .... it's the action that is important.

An elasticated whip is still a whip. I prefer to use a flicktip wherever possible but do carry whips with 12 hollow in for the Wye and Severn.

A system whip gives you options to short line (ie. use it like a pole) but generally the action is better for line to hand fishing.

I will usually set a whip up on all the venues that I go to regularly - canals, drains, Great Ouse, Warks Avon, Thames, Sever and Wye ..... only the Trent where it's less frequently used for me.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

JLK
Life Member

Site Supporter

United Kingdom

Posted - 14 September 2016 :  5:24:08 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLK to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

He's right actually.

It's certainly do-able but with a very strong chance of you busting a very expensive section.

Each to their own. I'd prefer to use a whip designed for fishing to hand rather than a pole. Unless it was a black magic put in pole or similar.

Go to Top of Page

stevierowe
Life Member

Cheshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 24 December 2016 :  9:37:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit stevierowe's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add stevierowe to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by C.S.H

My Daiwa Airity whip is a fraction of the diameter of my Tourney pro pole at every length up to the max 7m. It is also considerably stronger.

You would be mad to try and use a pole to hand in the same way as an elasticated whip.

I have a no.6 elastic tight through the top three tele sections on two of my top kits and use if there is a chance of a chub or big perch among the dace on the whip line. On many of the matches I fish the one bonus with the bits wins money. The elastic improves chances of getting out. Also cushions the lunges of kipper dace in fast current.

Use the flick tip only when absolutely sure its a bits only affair!

just out of interst C.S.H how much have you cut back the hollow tips on your airity whip?

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

lliopp
Life Member

Site Supporter

Hampshire
England

Posted - 25 December 2016 :  11:16:31 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lliopp to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

I have power gum through the hollow tips of my system whips. Just gives a little cushion but still fairly direct.

Go to Top of Page

nutmeg
Life Member

Cheshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 25 December 2016 :  11:56:40 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nutmeg to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

I have had a daiwa tournament professional whip system for a few years now, and just wondering where l could source top 2 and 3 sections from, or indeed the complete top 3
I really enjoy fishing the whip especially with the flick tip.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

nutmeg
Life Member

Cheshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 25 December 2016 :  12:00:04 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nutmeg to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Has anybody got a phone number for Daiwa spares dept?

Go to Top of Page

stevierowe
Life Member

Cheshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 25 December 2016 :  12:59:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit stevierowe's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add stevierowe to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by nutmeg

I have had a daiwa tournament professional whip system for a few years now, and just wondering where l could source top 2 and 3 sections from, or indeed the complete top 3

http://www.fishingspares.co.uk/daiw...80-no-1.html

Go to Top of Page

nutmeg
Life Member

Cheshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 25 December 2016 :  2:29:19 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nutmeg to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by stevierowe

quote :
Originally posted by nutmeg

http://www.fishingspares.co.uk/daiw...80-no-1.html

Cheers mate that looks good to me thanks.
Wonder if they have a sale on this week

Go to Top of Page

nutmeg
Life Member

Cheshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 04 January 2017 :  2:59:37 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nutmeg to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Billy Clarke's fishingspares.co.uk had the top 3 and 2 in stock that l wanted and have been delivered today. Very pleased with their service.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

graybones

Posted - 05 January 2017 :  3:42:12 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add graybones to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

c h s I have the same whip can I ask which bung you used please

Go to Top of Page

stevierowe
Life Member

Cheshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 06 January 2017 :  4:58:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit stevierowe's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add stevierowe to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by graybones

c h s I have the same whip can I ask which bung you used please

http://www.benwick-sports.co.uk/ela...e-plugs.html

Go to Top of Page

Arry
Aitch

Site Supporter

Oldish Opinionated Gimmer and Ex NFA Angling Coach

Posted - 06 January 2017 :  5:01:34 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Arry to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Damn.... thought I'd stumbled upon a Flagellation sub-forum of the site... no matter... back to fantasizing after Caroline Kirkwood, the black leather basque and the 12' bullwhip

Women Love Me... Fish Fear Me
Go to Top of Page

lp1886
Life Member

Leicestershire
England

Posted - 07 January 2017 :  6:06:52 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lp1886 to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

The only concern I would have is pulling for a break when using the flick tip.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2017 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.39 seconds.