The Maggotdrowners Forum - Nick Gilbert elastic
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Tackle and Baits
 Tackle Reviews
 Nick Gilbert elastic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

breamgod
Life Member

South Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 29 December 2016 :  10:35:38 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add breamgod to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

I'm one unhappy chappie about the nick Gilbert elastic I can honestly say it's the worst elastic I've ever put in a topkit!!!i put 6 topkits of the green 10/14 I used it in the summer and basically I had to physically use the pulla to drag the fish in from 4/5 pegs away,it just wouldn't contract back in,these fish r 3/4lb carp n f1s to 3lb!!!i didn't use it after that thinking the laccy was too soft for the time of year,not forgetting it's rated 10-14.well this week I thought I'd put it to some use not forgetting we've had 2 frosts so the fish would be a bit more lethargic exactly the same happened 5-1 to the fish just bottom elastic out n bang like crazy against the top kit,non of these fish were foul hooked and you physically had to wind the elastic in through the pulla!!!they were never coming back on their own using the elastic to do the work,these fish were 5-6lb fish in winter!! Then yesterday I used it again in 12ft deep conditions so they don't kite off they just plod about,I hooked my only carp and honestly I could not physically shift it,I said to next angler I've hooked one of those proper ones here,15minutes later it came up 5lb max,all the elastic did was bottom out n the fish just stayed there!!!without big hooks(14) n 0.16 that fish would have never broke surface cos there was nothing left in the elastic for any lunges!!! Well today had to have a day off n I've ripped every topkit I had with that elastic in it n reverted back to hydro n white at that cos I know that grade will do what it's supposed to do...sorry I've wrote it in wrong category could someone please move it to tackle tried n tested

Edited by - breamgod on 29 December 2016 10:37:46 PM

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

pat 1948
Life Member

Site Supporter

Staffordshire
United Kingdom

fair, fat and retired

Posted - 29 December 2016 :  11:37:44 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pat 1948 to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

I always use Hydro, OK, it's dear but never had any problems, red, purple, black, white, grey, and blue.

P.S. I don't use pullers either, set the tension right and you shouldn't have too much in the way of problems.

Oops! just noticed that we're in the wrong forum. Doh!

pat
Go to Top of Page

Neil ofthe nene
Life Member

Site Supporter

Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

I'm not Alan Scotthorne

Posted - 30 December 2016 :  05:08:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Neil ofthe nene's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Neil ofthe nene to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

And as I have said I have found the green amber core 10-14 to be perfect for this time of year. So far coped with fish from ounces to at least 7 1/2lb without issue. Teamed with mainline of 0.13, hooklength 0.10 (both Reflo Power) and a B611 18.

I have to guess that we have had two distinctly different batches.

As people will know I am not a fan of pullers and light elastics. But this year I was able to get three cheap topkits that I fitted a puller to and decided on the 10-14 as a suitable elastic to try. I could not get on with it in Summer as the soft elastic just didn't give me the control over the fish I am used to. I also lost fish I would have expected to land when using the puller. But I persevered with the kits when it got colder and discovered that, for me, this elastic seems perfect.

On my last three outings I have had 23 carp, biggest 7 1/2lb plus silvers and skimmers. I have not had to use the puller once in that time. Two carp have proved stubborn and just about bottomed out the elastic. But once tamed they came to the net, as I say, with no need for stripping elastic. The other 21, from 8oz to 4 1/2lb, were landed without fuss.

As I said on the other thread, you have to call it as you find it. Breamgod has had a bad experience with this elastic, I have not. Perhaps Nick himself can give a reason for that.

Average club angler who seems to get the right methods sorted halfway through a match, just in time to say "if only"

http://neilofthenene.blogspot.co.uk/

Go to Top of Page

dumdum
Life Member

Site Supporter

Nottinghamshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 30 December 2016 :  10:44:02 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dumdum to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Bitter much for buying six topkits of an elastic you don't like, I love the stuff, use it for edge fishing at lindholme where I'll get bonus fish and f1's mixed, works exceptionally well and hydro perishes like any other nowadays, hydro has lost its main strength, I like it but when it lasts three months like my last white did it can bugger off...

Each to there own, I'm sure nick Gilbert will withdraw his elastic on your recommendations, thanks for a constructive review

Maggotdrowning 2014 rolfs pairs champion with Dai-fish...
2016 Alders Farm pairs champion with Baggerj...

2015 lindholme angling club league champion
2016 lindholme angling club sat and sun league champion
Go to Top of Page

spark
Life Member

Site Supporter

Hertfordshire

Posted - 30 December 2016 :  11:09:48 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spark to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Ng green amber core is ideal for summer silvers and carp in open water and also ideal for winter carp and fishing shallow.

NG White, green and black are the only hollows I use in my top kits that cover everything imo solid no6 for winter silver fishing and if I'm after big creatures I use a beast master margin with an extension if needed with a big hollow elastic.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

blue orfe
Life Member

Site Supporter

Berkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 31 December 2016 :  09:00:41 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blue orfe to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Why did you fit 6 top kits with an elastic you have never tried before? That doesn't make sense.
All you have done is fish with too light an elastic and now you blame the supplier. You say you had to pull the elastic to get the fish in, err yes that's the idea of a puller kit You will have to do the same thing with white hydro.
Nick Gilbert elastics are as good as any elastic out there. You need to experiment and find the right ones for you. I have found the purple amber core to be better for the size of fish you are catching.
By the way, carp still fight in winter!

Go to Top of Page

nick_gilbert
NG Floats, Elastic

Site Supporter

Kent
England

Posted - 31 December 2016 :  09:40:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit nick_gilbert's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add nick_gilbert to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Right then let me pass comment on this!

For a start when you first had the problem why didn't you contact me rather than rant on here months later? If anybody has a problem I am more than happy to replace with a alternative or give a full refund. I had a few length of the Green Amber that was not performing as it should have about that time and it would have been replaced. Even if the user is at fault I will replace elastic and give advice on the best way to use it.

I'm still happy to replace the elastic but would recommend you the 8-12 Micro Bore. As for the 12ft deep venue, I would even go a grade higher for carp of that size, especially if you are using a 14 hook and 0.16mm line, deeper water venues need a grade higher elastic anyway to get there heads up even in the winter. Is not as if you are going to bump any with a hook of that size.

Just for your information the Green Amber Cored is manufactured in the same place, in the same way, with the same materials as White Hydro. White hydro is a amber cored elastic. The ONLY difference is Hydro if filled with I believe a silicone based (or possibly something else) lube injected down the length. If you look on most fishing forums you will see that all elastics have faulty length from time to time even Hydro, and until you put it in the pole and use it sometimes you cant tell.

Float Store for Hand Made & Commercial XT Pole Floats, Wagglers, Silicone, Line and now Hollow Pole Elastic

Edited by - nick_gilbert on 31 December 2016 09:47:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

breamgod
Life Member

South Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 31 December 2016 :  3:46:34 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add breamgod to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by nick_gilbert

Right then let me pass comment on this!

For a start when you first had the problem why didn't you contact me rather than rant on here months later? If anybody has a problem I am more than happy to replace with a alternative or give a full refund. I had a few length of the Green Amber that was not performing as it should have about that time and it would have been replaced. Even if the user is at fault I will replace elastic and give advice on the best way to use it.

I'm still happy to replace the elastic but would recommend you the 8-12 Micro Bore. As for the 12ft deep venue, I would even go a grade higher for carp of that size, especially if you are using a 14 hook and 0.16mm line, deeper water venues need a grade higher elastic anyway to get there heads up even in the winter. Is not as if you are going to bump any with a hook of that size.

Just for your information the Green Amber Cored is manufactured in the same place, in the same way, with the same materials as White Hydro. White hydro is a amber cored elastic. The ONLY difference is Hydro if filled with I believe a silicone based (or possibly something else) lube injected down the length. If you look on most fishing forums you will see that all elastics have faulty length from time to time even Hydro, and until you put it in the pole and use it sometimes you cant tell.
hi nick if u read the post properly it states that when I used it in summer I realised that it wasn't up for the job so with all my experience of match fishing I thought it would be perfect for winter carp fishing for 4/5lb fish but obviously I was wrong it performed exactly the same in winter having to forcibly drag carp in on a tight line cos there was no control n the elastic just doesn't contract.I ain't slagging the person who sold me the elastic I'm giving a personal honest opinion on the material I'm using.I understand bad batches of elastic happen,I've had purple hydro that lasted 3 months n you could snap it in half cos it's perished with very little use!! I only used it once when I bought it,the next time I used it was 27/12/2016 so I didn't review it after months of use I've used it 3 times and the material I'm reviewing does the same thing summer or winter!!i tried your elastics on people's reviews over several forums and the issues over the purple elastics.ive changed them now over to white hydro and yesterday I had no problems in taming carp to 8lb on it not forgetting white hydro is rated 6-10 and green amber core is 10-14.ive had terrible batches of hydro pink and blue snapping after only one session n writing reports about it when happen on talk angling..I don't use it now stick to solids upto a no8 then going to hollows after that for piece of mind they don't snap on a carp session.i will say this tho I bought the elastic in July only used it the once and left it in the tubes since,when I got it out there were no signs of perishing near the knots or Dacron connectors

Go to Top of Page

nick_gilbert
NG Floats, Elastic

Site Supporter

Kent
England

Posted - 01 January 2017 :  4:09:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit nick_gilbert's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add nick_gilbert to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

If you understand that you can get a bad batch of elastic then it is a bit unfair posting it on a public forum damaging the reputation of a product without contacting the retailer to let them know.

People are all too quick to go spouting off on forums when they have a problem.

Float Store for Hand Made & Commercial XT Pole Floats, Wagglers, Silicone, Line and now Hollow Pole Elastic
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

spark
Life Member

Site Supporter

Hertfordshire

Posted - 01 January 2017 :  5:38:50 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spark to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

breamgod

Find it hard to believe the elastic never contracted, why not take a photo of a 3m of peice elastic stretched 6/7 its length to 18m and post it up

Go to Top of Page

tedstriker
Life Member

Posted - 01 January 2017 :  5:50:24 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tedstriker to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

i've used the green amber core in the middle of summer and landed plemty of double figure carp on it from club waters, yes it stretches, its hollow so its going to! i cant fault the green and also the black

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Chris Calder
Life Member

Hereford & Worcester
United Kingdom

Posted - 01 January 2017 :  8:40:42 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chris Calder to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

I put the green amber core in three top kits, used it for margin fishing just before the winter started, carp between 5 lb and 7 lb , it got them under control pretty quick, once down to my top kit it was one pull on the puller kit and they were in the net.
Mine were very good so you must have had a faulty batch, the best thing would have been to send it back in the summer and Nick would have sorted it, I'v been using Nicks elastic for a while now the twin Core and the amber core and service from Nick is brilliant

Go to Top of Page

breamgod
Life Member

South Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 01 January 2017 :  9:55:33 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add breamgod to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Maybe it's me then ,not able to use it properly!!or is it you can't put a honest review about something on here,in future I'll keep my opinions to myself and let others be unaware n waste their hard earnt,I could have been far more brutal without saying the plus points of it

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

nick_gilbert
NG Floats, Elastic

Site Supporter

Kent
England

Posted - 01 January 2017 :  11:40:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit nick_gilbert's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add nick_gilbert to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

This s the last comment I will make about this.

You are not wasting your "hard earned" as you put it as I have already offered to replace or refund! You have however wasted it buying new elastic instead of taking up my offer!

You can read that many others get on just fine with the elastic so it must be very obvious to you by now that the length you had may be faulty and your experience is not the norm.

It is just as easy to send me a message to resolve your problems than to post here but I have still not has any, the offer of a replacement or refund is still there???

Edited by - nick_gilbert on 02 January 2017 08:54:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

Chris Calder
Life Member

Hereford & Worcester
United Kingdom

Posted - 02 January 2017 :  12:25:40 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chris Calder to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by breamgod

Maybe it's me then ,not able to use it properly!!or is it you can't put a honest review about something on here,in future I'll keep my opinions to myself and let others be unaware n waste their hard earnt,I could have been far more brutal without saying the plus points of it

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, you voiced yours and others have voiced theirs

Go to Top of Page

Paul.P
Life Member

Leicestershire
United Kingdom

Posted - 02 January 2017 :  09:29:07 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Paul.P to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

In this day & age when after market service seems to of been forgotten by the majority, its good to see that Nick has still had the decency to offer to replace this even after a post that could tarnish his reputation. I really can't see what breamgod has to complain about, every supplier has faulty products now & again, & if there not prepared to sort the problem, then by all means, its fair to name & shame, but a) nick wasn't informed at the time so couldn't advise or replace then, & b) even after 6 months & public post on here, he has still had the courtesy to offer a free replacement. I personally do not use nicks elastic, but have read a lot of folk on here do with no complaints, so its pretty obvious it was a faulty batch, & by the way, I've had faulty batches of preston & hydro before.

Go to Top of Page

THE MEAT MAN
Life Member

Shropshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 06 January 2017 :  7:58:21 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add THE MEAT MAN to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Nick elastic is sum of the best elastic on the market at the mo for the price I have it in all my top kits and never had a problem with it from silver fish the big carp

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Total
Life Member

Site Supporter

Gt. London
United Kingdom

....Just one more cast!

Posted - 06 January 2017 :  11:21:25 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Total to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by THE MEAT MAN

Nick elastic is sum of the best elastic on the market at the mo for the price I have it in all my top kits and never had a problem with it from silver fish the big carp

This is good to hear and I'm glad that it works for you

.....However, I couldn't get on with it. But that's how it goes.

Opinions will always vary and I will always respect that.

Mark
Go to Top of Page

JLK
Life Member

Site Supporter

United Kingdom

Posted - 07 January 2017 :  08:13:06 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLK to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

I've got Nicks elastic in most of my top kits and after 18months use it needs replacing as its not as good as it was when I bought it new.

Can I have a replacement batch of green amber core and the light blue micro bore for 15 top kits please?

Go to Top of Page

thetraveller
Life Member

Tyne and Wear
Saint Vincent And The Grenadines

Posted - 07 January 2017 :  12:24:21 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thetraveller to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

All I can say is that the elastic works for me and the service is excellent. Have a load of kits to sort out and I will be ordering some more very shortly.

Go to Top of Page

paulberry1963
Life Member

Somerset
United Kingdom

Posted - 07 January 2017 :  9:47:58 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paulberry1963 to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

The memsaab bought me some 6 - 10 white ambercore for chrimbo - Have not tried it yet but seems perfect for the commercial silvers fishing I do.

Any one tried it - thoughts please.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2017 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.44 seconds.