The Maggotdrowners Forum - Story so far...........
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Old Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

** THE MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM HAS MOVED **

To go to the New Forums please click this link: THE NEW MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM

Important - If this is your first time logging into the new Forums you will need to reset your Password
as your previous password will not work - Click to Reset Password

If you have any problems logging in or resetting your password, please contact us with your Username and Email Address using this link Contact Us and we will get you back in as soon as possible. Alternatively email HELP@maggotdrowning.com with your name and username

The Maggotdrowners Forums have moved however the content of the old forum can stll be viewed even though no further replies can be added. All this content (and more) can be found by going to our new forums. To go to the New Maggotdrowning.com Forums please click this link: THE NEW MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM

All Forums
 www.Maggotdrowning.com
 Football Corner
 Story so far...........
 Forum Locked  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Northantslad
'Any indications?

Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 21 August 2017 :  08:57:35 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Northantslad to your friends list

Few talking points then.

Theme seems to be player unrest, Costa, Coutinho, Van Dyk. Coutinho one is interesting, I noticed that a prominent ex Liverpool player was advising Van Dyk to strike over the Liverpool move, but hasn't I don't think had similar advice for Coutinho to do the same. Its a job to know where to start on opinion on such things, but one thing is for sure that with the amounts of money banded around, it seems that players have the upper hand?

Klopp stil not spent effectively though or will his youth policy win through?

Huddersfield made a good start of the newly promoted teams. Newcastle disappointing so far, being the ones with the biggest expectations of them I would think.

A long way to go, but I tipped West Ham to be pushing the top 6, instead, will we be seeing the first managerial casualty?

How has your team started? Mine started well, although yet to be tested fully I feel, good to see goals from midfield again too, as in seasons when we have done well, this has always been the case. Lukaku has surprised me with his work rate.

Spurs and Wembley eh??? Although they were playing a very persistent Chelsea, Spurs did look good themselves in spells. Although are these the games Spurs need to win if they have any ambition of finishing up there?

Same old Arsenal?

Leeds undefeated and currently averaging the 2 points per game needed for promotion.

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Advertisement.

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Wise Owl
Trainee Moderator

West Yorkshire
Pakistan

Posted - 21 August 2017 :  11:01:32 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wise Owl to your friends list

Tosspot ya had to mention it that's the kiss o death

Go to Top of Page

RUDDLES
Life Member

Derbyshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 21 August 2017 :  11:23:23 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RUDDLES to your friends list

Huddersfield doing well at the moment. Be nice to see it continue..

Go to Top of Page

jay67
Life Member

Kent
United Kingdom

Posted - 21 August 2017 :  11:29:25 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jay67 to your friends list

[quote]Originally posted by Wise Owl

Tosspot ya had to mention it that's the kiss o death
[/quote and it was all going so well

Go to Top of Page

Wise Owl
Trainee Moderator

West Yorkshire
Pakistan

Posted - 21 August 2017 :  11:38:35 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wise Owl to your friends list

I was hopefully on about Man U

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

BrianEmb
Life Member

Kent
United Kingdom

Posted - 21 August 2017 :  11:59:00 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BrianEmb to your friends list

I was at Wembley yesterday. Spurs played okay and Wembley had nothing to do with the result. Just need to look at the stats where Spurs dominated in every department apart from the vital one which was goals scored.
Having got ourselves back in the game with the equaliser we made the cardinal mistake of pressing too hard for the winner and left ourselves vulnerable to a sucker punch.

Chelsea were very defensive and if they continue like that against all of the other top sides away from home they will be very hard to beat. The test for them is if they can be more expansive at home and if they are then they might come a cropper as they did against Burnley.

I have to say on first viewing Morata isn't worth 70m and Chelsea are making a big mistake is bringing him in in place of Costa.

Go to Top of Page

mickthestick
Life Member

Gt.Manchester
England

Posted - 21 August 2017 :  2:48:40 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mickthestick to your friends list

I hear Burnley have a new striker

Go to Top of Page

Wise Owl
Trainee Moderator

West Yorkshire
Pakistan

Posted - 21 August 2017 :  5:22:40 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wise Owl to your friends list

You hear right pal, the pull of the big boys league was too much to keep him, he thinks he's good enough we shall see.Or could it be 3rd time lucky for him ?

Go to Top of Page

mickthestick
Life Member

Gt.Manchester
England

Posted - 21 August 2017 :  5:38:38 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mickthestick to your friends list

Poor buggers who have bought shirts with his name on Wisey , I feel sorry for

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Advertisement..

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Wise Owl
Trainee Moderator

West Yorkshire
Pakistan

Posted - 21 August 2017 :  5:45:55 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wise Owl to your friends list

Leeds are swapping em mate free of charge

Go to Top of Page

mickthestick
Life Member

Gt.Manchester
England

Posted - 21 August 2017 :  6:26:51 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mickthestick to your friends list

Fair play to the club

Go to Top of Page

160642fishing
Life Member

Cambridgeshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 21 August 2017 :  6:32:24 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 160642fishing to your friends list

quote :
Originally posted by RUDDLES

Huddersfield doing well at the moment. Be nice to see it continue..

Watching them yesterday I think both them and Newcastle will go down if that's the best football they can produce,it was dire.

Go to Top of Page

david white
Life Member

North Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 21 August 2017 :  9:24:16 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add david white to your friends list

quote :
Originally posted by BrianEmb

I was at Wembley yesterday. Spurs played okay and Wembley had nothing to do with the result. Just need to look at the stats where Spurs dominated in every department apart from the vital one which was goals scored.
Having got ourselves back in the game with the equaliser we made the cardinal mistake of pressing too hard for the winner and left ourselves vulnerable to a sucker punch.

Chelsea were very defensive and if they continue like that against all of the other top sides away from home they will be very hard to beat. The test for them is if they can be more expansive at home and if they are then they might come a cropper as they did against Burnley.

I have to say on first viewing Morata isn't worth 70m and Chelsea are making a big mistake is bringing him in in place of Costa.

Thanks for the right up Brian, I like the way you say it as it is, hopefully we can put wobbly Wembley behinds us sooner rather than later, as you said Chelsea did a job and did it well but can't help thinking that we missed the thrusting wide runs of Walker and Rose taking a player or players towards the corner flag makes other defenders worry about providing cover and leaves room for the llkes of Deli and Kane it working fine the last couple of seasons even though opposing teams know what's coming they still have to deal with it hence it works !!

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

BrianEmb
Life Member

Kent
United Kingdom

Posted - 21 August 2017 :  10:22:58 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BrianEmb to your friends list

David, a good point.
We did use Davies quite a bit but he doesn't have the same pace as Rose. Trippier didn't make many forays forward at all really but in his defence he is just back from injury so may not be fully match fit yet.
We were also a bit slow in our build up which let Chelsea get back into their formation. Hopefully it will be a bit quicker against Burnley on Sunday.

Good to see City drop two points tonight. Kyle Walker won't be bombing up their wing for the next couple of games!

Go to Top of Page

Yuccaman

Nottinghamshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 22 August 2017 :  06:54:50 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Yuccaman to your friends list

Very happy Watford fan here - I'll gladly take 4 points from our first two games. Yet again, the pundits and bookies had as down as relegation favourites, and for a 3rd season in a row, we will prove them wrong, and I feel by quite some margin this time. We have had a cracking summer in terms of signings, including Marco Silva is manager and should be comfortably mid-table this season. It shall remain to be seen, but Silva has said that he is not going to make many changes for the League Cup tonight - I'm heading down to it, so hope that's true - but it would be nice to see a cup run of some sort this year.

I just wish that everyone would shut up about the rotation of managers now though. Yes, there have been the odd one or two, but you know what, it worked. Particularly Mazarri last season, was absolutely flipping awful. The football was total dross, we finished 1 above relegation and to quote the BBC when he left, 'he irritated the players, owners, media and fans' - quite a good job then.

I did particularly enjoy watching MOTD at the weekend after nasty rotaty-managery Watford beat the BBCs beloved Eddie's Bournemouth...

Go to Top of Page

davylad
Life Member

East Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 22 August 2017 :  4:54:09 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add davylad to your friends list

Silva is a top class manager, and will certainly make a big difference to Watford. He seems a top bloke too.

Go to Top of Page

matchstickman25
Life Member

Durham

Posted - 23 August 2017 :  8:15:39 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add matchstickman25 to your friends list

MAN U MAN U MAN U MAN U......MAN U

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Advertisement...

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Wise Owl
Trainee Moderator

West Yorkshire
Pakistan

Posted - 23 August 2017 :  8:26:09 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wise Owl to your friends list

Im surprised Pretentious Pillock's not been on

Edited by - Wise Owl on 23 August 2017 8:27:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

davylad
Life Member

East Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 23 August 2017 :  10:54:49 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add davylad to your friends list

Serious times at Hull City, not looking good at all. If I'm honest if it wasn't for taking Jonathan I would cancel my season pass. 16 and a half million for Clucas, fckn ell what's the game coming too, I mean Ruben neves only cost 15 million, and he's twice the player?

Go to Top of Page

Northantslad
'Any indications?

Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 24 August 2017 :  12:14:49 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Northantslad to your friends list

Hate to say it, but Hull look set to become another Bolton, up there and competing under one of the best managers they had, then getting rid and plummeting.

Go to Top of Page

BrianEmb
Life Member

Kent
United Kingdom

Posted - 28 August 2017 :  09:01:47 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BrianEmb to your friends list

Second trip to Wembley yesterday and again left feeling disappointed over dropped points.
From the evidence of the first two games it appears that the "Wembley effect" is spurring the opposition to adopt defensive tactics to try and negate Spurs possession style and to deny space both behind and in front of their back four.
Last week Chelsea set up with a very negative formation and yesterday during the first half in particular Burnley were lining 6 and 7 players across the back with two midfielders protecting them and one up front. It was very effective but boy did it make for a boring first half. What they did do well though was make sure every Spurs effort was either blocked or half blocked although Kane should have scored when 6 yards out but took too long and another block ensued. Spurs didn't help themselves by being too slow in their build up play with nobody trying to beat a defender and create any space to attack.
Spurs got the breakthrough early in the second half with a scrappy goal which did have the effect of forcing Burnley to push men further forward which made for a much better game. It's a shame they started so negatively because when they tried to attack they actually played some nice football.
With the game opening up Spurs started to create more openings but some poor finishing combined with some excellent saves from Heaton kept it at 1-0. Again substitutions seemed to affect Spurs organisation towards the end and the failure to convert chances gave Burnley the boost they needed in searching for the equaliser and I have to say what an excellent goal it was. A defence splitting pass and a cool finish past Lloris.
A sense of disappointment at the end but also encouragement that once the chances start to go in the result will come.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2018 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.09 seconds.