The Maggotdrowners Forum - Story so far...........
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Old Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

** THE MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM HAS MOVED **

To go to the New Forums please click this link: THE NEW MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM

Important - If this is your first time logging into the new Forums you will need to reset your Password
as your previous password will not work - Click to Reset Password

If you have any problems logging in or resetting your password, please contact us with your Username and Email Address using this link Contact Us and we will get you back in as soon as possible. Alternatively email HELP@maggotdrowning.com with your name and username

The Maggotdrowners Forums have moved however the content of the old forum can stll be viewed even though no further replies can be added. All this content (and more) can be found by going to our new forums. To go to the New Maggotdrowning.com Forums please click this link: THE NEW MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM

All Forums
 www.Maggotdrowning.com
 Football Corner
 Story so far...........
 Forum Locked  Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Advertisement.

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

david white
Life Member

North Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 28 August 2017 :  11:27:25 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add david white to your friends list

Brian
I think I suggested end of last season that wobbly Wembley would be Spurs downfall this season, many players at various club levels will see it as a highlight of the playing career ( not many players go on to represent their country or reach semi or full final games played at Wembley )
It is a large playing area and many teams will park the bus and hope to get a result ( on current form this season Spurs will drop more points at home and that will reflect on the league placing )
I predict pressure on the management team to live up to last couple of seasons placings and hope that Levy and co can see past the next couple of years
Does the wage structure need to be revised ? If it means keeping the likes of Walker and playing as we have then yes if Spurs pull a rabbit out of the hat and start winning again I guess it doesn't

Go to Top of Page

BrianEmb
Life Member

Kent
United Kingdom

Posted - 28 August 2017 :  12:18:27 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BrianEmb to your friends list

David,
I was speaking to a guy on the train on the way home and his feeling was that the players must on a promise that once this season is over and the new stadium is built they will receive substantial pay increases otherwise why would they stay when they see the riches on offer elsewhere. I think there may be some merit in that view coupled with the fact that they are under a good manager.
I agree with you regarding Wembley. I don't think we are underperformimg, although we aren't quite at our very best from last season, but as you say other team's players are upping their games.

Go to Top of Page

Northantslad
'Any indications?

Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 28 August 2017 :  3:11:23 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Northantslad to your friends list

So it is a Wembley thing then, as suggested a couple of weeks back? Don't matter how you wrap it up or it doesn't matter one jot how the opposition are playing there, the fact is that Totenham aint winning there. 2 wins in 12 now there.....

Reckon its in the players mind now too and yes agree certainly its in the mind of the opposition, just have to look at yesterday's result and the late equaliser, a sign that Totenham just couldn't shut the door for the whole game.

Its a shame, would really like to see them well up there again, perhaps they will be, time yet.

Go to Top of Page

david white
Life Member

North Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 29 August 2017 :  7:44:52 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add david white to your friends list

Northantslad

Much of being a Spurs ' fan ' is dealing with jinx teams venues and statistics
can't win at Wembley
can't consistently beat certain teams ( Chelsea, Man U ( for a long long time ) to name a couple )
can't put a game to bed or a team to the sword when we have through the way this current team plays so much possession
don't hold on to ' world class ' players ( mind you I took great heart in Brian's theory about new stadium new structure including wages because it does make sense no point in having a larger capacity ground without the ' stars ' in the team or a team performance to draw in the requisite crowds ) but you'd think a new across the board wage structure will be need to retain the likes of Ali, Kane, Lloris and co

Top four this season maybe stretching the Wembley factor coupled with Europe I see them holding their, own slipping under the radar for a final in one of the domestic cups and a top 6 spot keep the nucleus of the current squad with a new structured pay scale a couple or 3 new signings and Bob's yer uncle ...........

Edited by - david white on 29 August 2017 7:46:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Northantslad
'Any indications?

Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 09 September 2017 :  5:50:56 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Northantslad to your friends list

Man sent off granted, but blimey Charlie, anyone watch it? City good or Liverpool poor? All this Coutinho business catching up with them? Signing just another Arsenal player looking to jump ship being the main sum of the Liverpool's summer business?

Go to Top of Page

mickthestick
Life Member

Gt.Manchester
England

Posted - 09 September 2017 :  5:59:24 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mickthestick to your friends list

Altogether ...... It's their year ,bet the Ox is checking his contract

Go to Top of Page

Northantslad
'Any indications?

Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 09 September 2017 :  6:11:33 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Northantslad to your friends list

May be Mick yes, thought the ox was average with England too. Shame really I was hoping for Liverpool to do well this year and certainly wanted them to get something at City.

See there was another 5-0 elsewhere too, don't wana say too much and put the mockers on them though do i, Leeds going well though, looking very good in fact, could be the year, looking solid, playing well...

Go to Top of Page

mickthestick
Life Member

Gt.Manchester
England

Posted - 09 September 2017 :  6:39:57 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mickthestick to your friends list

Wisey's quiet , scared of jinxing them I think

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Advertisement..

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Northantslad
'Any indications?

Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 09 September 2017 :  7:17:15 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Northantslad to your friends list

Do you mean about how well Leeds are doing and thus putting the mockers on them Mick? So by mentioning it, somehow tempting fate?

Could be yea.

Playing well though aren't they

Go to Top of Page

davylad
Life Member

East Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 10 September 2017 :  09:17:01 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add davylad to your friends list

They're getting their moneys worth at Hull City, 24 goals already in their 3 matches.

Go to Top of Page

pole addict
Life Member

Leicestershire
United Kingdom

Posted - 10 September 2017 :  09:25:40 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pole addict to your friends list

I thought man city's 1st was marginally against the run of play.
Once Liverpool went down to 10 men the writing was on the wall.
With their defensive frailties all too obvious it was going to be hard with 11 on the pitch never mind 10.
But you've still got to score the goals and create the chances so credit to City.
They've got the players to capitalise on such a situation.

Go to Top of Page

tonerain
Life Member

Posted - 10 September 2017 :  11:42:26 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonerain to your friends list

As a City fan (used to be active but now armchair) they've definitely got to sort out their defensive frailties.
Otamendi is a poor, slow footballer and, unfortunately, Kompany has yet another calf injury.
Since City signed Kompany in 2008 they've spent over 200 million on centre halves to partner him.

They're an absolute joy to watch going forward particularly when David Silva and De Bruyne come short to enable the defenders to find them with short passes. Despite Pep's emphasis on passing I really don't want to see the back 3 or 4 trying to play football they're not capable of, especially with the talented midfield players they have.
Just win the ball and play it short to the experts!

C'mon you Blues!

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

pole addict
Life Member

Leicestershire
United Kingdom

Posted - 10 September 2017 :  1:11:17 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pole addict to your friends list

Sounds like a reasonable summing up of Liverpool too tonerain.
Sure your boys will be there or thereabouts come the end.
Can't see any change in the top 6 this season, just a different order.
Certainly didn't think Everton were up to much yesterday despite some good signings.

Go to Top of Page

BrianEmb
Life Member

Kent
United Kingdom

Posted - 17 September 2017 :  09:30:02 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BrianEmb to your friends list

Having missed last Wednesday's excellent result against Dortmund I was at Wembley yesterday hoping for a similar result against Swansea but unfortunately not.
Spurs made a few changes in order to rotate the squad but it proved to be a little disjointed and the first half performance was rather lethargic although with more clinical finishing we should have been leading.
The second half was better with more urgency with Son moving from wing back to a moe advanced position but wasteful finishing cost us in the end. Mike Dean gave his usual erratic performance and watching the game again when I got home we should have had at least two penalties.
As for Swansea it's difficult to say much about them because they didn't do anything apart from defend. Lloris could have had his deckchair out for all the work he had to do.
I saw afterwards that someone had put Swansea down for 8 efforts on goal. I don't know what game he was watching as I only counted two and one of those nearly hit the corner flag.
All told a disappointing game.

Go to Top of Page

Northantslad
'Any indications?

Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 17 September 2017 :  12:55:23 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Northantslad to your friends list

Take some pride in the fact that teams now defend against Spurs, a sign that Spurs are up there with big boys nowadays. Teams don't open up against them like they can afford to against say the Gooners.

Looking forward to this afternoon, hope Rooney gets a good reception and does well, but ultimately his team leave with nothing.

Still hard one to call, whilst it may be the sort of game that Everton may need after their recent blip and that particularly away but sometimes at home they have been a team we struggle against, I feel we might edge it. Certainly wouldn't have wanted to have played them a few games ago, they started well, since the drink driving matter though seems to where its been going wrong, wonder if one or two players (Barkley for eg) felt had it been them, would they still be starting the next game.....

Liverpool sticking by Klopp still and his steady building, but progress seems to be slow, is it more a few pieces of the jigsaw missing still, one piece must be a centre half still....

Go to Top of Page

Northantslad
'Any indications?

Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 17 September 2017 :  6:24:08 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Northantslad to your friends list

Phew, was only just edged too, 4-0 not overly accurate, as despite their failings Everton dominated that for long spells, De Gea priceless, Matic signing of the year.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Advertisement...

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

willothewisp
willothewisp

Co. Down
Ireland

Posted - 17 September 2017 :  8:45:42 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add willothewisp to your friends list

Am disappointed for Mayo. They contested every ball in every quarter of the pitch, and despite going a goal down within two minutes, fought back to score marvellous points from open play. For Dublin to win by a point from a free at the very end was gutting for Mayo supporters.

[All Ireland Gaelic Football final at Croke Park, Dublin today. Now that IS football!]

Go to Top of Page

Northantslad
'Any indications?

Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 18 September 2017 :  7:23:26 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Northantslad to your friends list

Have caught the odd game on tv, looks good.

Go to Top of Page

160642fishing
Life Member

Cambridgeshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 18 September 2017 :  9:25:01 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 160642fishing to your friends list

'Just win the ball and play it short to the experts!'

I remember Mick McCarthy saying on TV once that when he started his career at Barnsley his sole instructions were " get the ball and give it to someone who can play",I don't know who wrote his manager Jim Ileys motivational speeches but he wasn't all that clever !

Go to Top of Page

tonerain
Life Member

Posted - 19 September 2017 :  10:35:15 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonerain to your friends list

quote :
Originally posted by 160642fishing

'Just win the ball and play it short to the experts!'

I remember Mick McCarthy saying on TV once that when he started his career at Barnsley his sole instructions were " get the ball and give it to someone who can play",I don't know who wrote his manager Jim Ileys motivational speeches but he wasn't all that clever !

Yeah, but he was right!
By coincidence Mick McCarthy is one centre half that City haven't tried to re-sign since we sold him in the mid 80's!!
Tony

Edited by - tonerain on 19 September 2017 10:44:07 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2018 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.08 seconds.