The Maggotdrowners Forum - Where to buy Carp
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Old Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

** THE MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM HAS MOVED **

To go to the New Forums please click this link: THE NEW MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM

Important - If this is your first time logging into the new Forums you will need to reset your Password
as your previous password will not work - Click to Reset Password

If you have any problems logging in or resetting your password, please contact us with your Username and Email Address using this link Contact Us and we will get you back in as soon as possible. Alternatively email HELP@maggotdrowning.com with your name and username

The Maggotdrowners Forums have moved however the content of the old forum can stll be viewed even though no further replies can be added. All this content (and more) can be found by going to our new forums. To go to the New Maggotdrowning.com Forums please click this link: THE NEW MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM

All Forums
 Fishing
 Species Specific
 Where to buy Carp
 Forum Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AndyMorley

Derbyshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 05 November 2017 :  08:42:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit AndyMorley's Homepage Bookmark this topic Add AndyMorley to your friends list

Good morning all, just a quick question really, we've just had a garden pond dug, a fairly big one and I want to put some carp in it...

Not Koi but rather commons or mirrors, two questions:

1) Are there any special requirements which differ from Koi?

2) Where is a good place to buy from? Whenever I search Carp For Sale all I seem to get are fish farms or breeders, not really looking for loads just one or two.

I have spoken to Steve from Water Fisheries who has given me some good advice, his carp for sale range from 1lb through to 16lbs.

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Advertisement.

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Dave
Red Leader

West Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 05 November 2017 :  08:51:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dave's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Dave to your friends list

I bought mine (x4) from a pet section in a garden centre - Year 1 Mirror Carp and they were about 50mm long at the time.
Several years later and the largest is about 10lb or thereabouts.

They are very hardy fish but greedy so you do need to be careful they don't bully other fish out of the way of food. Likewise they're great from grubbing around in any silt on the bottom but the downside is the bigger they get the more they colour the water up.

Oxygen levels don't need to be as high either with Mirrors and Commons compared to Koi, and they are much more resilient to water and temperature changes

Go to Top of Page

Philocalist
Life Member

England

Posted - 05 November 2017 :  1:24:19 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philocalist to your friends list

Some of the fish farms / breeders WILL send out small quanties of fish via courier at quite reasonable prices - I had perch sent out a few years ago for a large tank I had in the house at the time. More arrived than expected / paid for, to make up for any potential losses / fatalities (of which tyhetre were none), and the fish did very well in the tank.
One interesting, and very surprising thing I discovered is how quickly perch can change colour, chameleon-like, within literally a few minutes from pale, washed-out colours, to vivid stripey beasties, as they moved from one area of a tank to another and stayed in and around foliage that was of obviously different colours.
It also happend when lights went on suddenly in a darkened room - pale and washed out as the lights went on, vivid colours within less than five minutes!

Go to Top of Page

Trogg
the ba'stard

Staffordshire
England

Posted - 06 November 2017 :  09:20:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Trogg's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Trogg to your friends list

Andy, where abouts in Derbyshire are you, have you checked out the local garden centres because you'd be surprised how many sell "ghost Koi" or "large scale koi" which are just ghost carp or mirror carp!!

You could always use a "mail order" company like DC or Ripples although most of the time the cost of delivery outweighs the cost of driving to a decent garden centre etc and being able to choose the fish you want.

You could always ask at a local fishery if they will sell you a couple of small ones!

Go to Top of Page

Chris1Richo
Richo

North Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 27 November 2017 :  4:40:51 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chris1Richo to your friends list

Our shop sells Mirrors and Commons, id do as other suggest and look at local aquatic places.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Tony1774
Life Member

Nottinghamshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 29 November 2017 :  2:41:25 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tony1774 to your friends list

Wharf Aquatics at Pinxton always have a variety of carp in, mirrors, common & grass

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2018 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.06 seconds.