The Maggotdrowners Forum - Which strikers?
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Old Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

** THE MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM HAS MOVED **

To go to the New Forums please click this link: THE NEW MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM

Important - If this is your first time logging into the new Forums you will need to reset your Password
as your previous password will not work - Click to Reset Password

If you have any problems logging in or resetting your password, please contact us with your Username and Email Address using this link Contact Us and we will get you back in as soon as possible. Alternatively email HELP@maggotdrowning.com with your name and username

The Maggotdrowners Forums have moved however the content of the old forum can stll be viewed even though no further replies can be added. All this content (and more) can be found by going to our new forums. To go to the New Maggotdrowning.com Forums please click this link: THE NEW MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM

All Forums
 www.Maggotdrowning.com
 Football Corner
 Which strikers?
 Forum Locked  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Northantslad
'Any indications?

Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 10 January 2018 :  7:51:50 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Northantslad to your friends list

I think the norm is to take 4 strikers to a world cup.

Poses the question I feel, Kane plus which 3 others?

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Advertisement.

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Wise Owl
Trainee Moderator

West Yorkshire
Pakistan

Posted - 10 January 2018 :  8:01:25 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wise Owl to your friends list

Rashford for deffo

Go to Top of Page

Yuccaman

Nottinghamshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 10 January 2018 :  8:04:34 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Yuccaman to your friends list

Whether you'd play him as an out and out striker, I don't know, but the form Raheem Sterling is in, I'd have him playing

Go to Top of Page

shang
Life Member

Hertfordshire

Posted - 10 January 2018 :  8:45:46 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shang to your friends list

Even though he doesn't excel at club level, Welbeck is effective at international level so he would be in my 4.

Kane and Sterling plus prob Defoe to steal a goal rather than Vardy

Go to Top of Page

BrianEmb
Life Member

Kent
United Kingdom

Posted - 10 January 2018 :  9:26:03 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BrianEmb to your friends list

Kane, Vardy, Rashford and Defoe. Sterling will be in as a midfielder albeit an attacking one.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Yorkieboy70
Life Member

Cheshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 10 January 2018 :  10:06:02 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Yorkieboy70 to your friends list

Kane, Vardy, Rashford and Callum Wilson

Go to Top of Page

Phoenixicus
Life Member

Midlands West
United Kingdom

Posted - 10 January 2018 :  10:23:17 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phoenixicus to your friends list

Can we play Stirling and Ali both in midfield as very samey?

I would prefer to see Kane & Stirling up front
Rashford,Vardy on bench

Go to Top of Page

Pontius Pilate
mufc ok

Gt.Manchester

Posted - 11 January 2018 :  05:43:29 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pontius Pilate to your friends list

quote :
Originally posted by shang

Even though he doesn't excel at club level, Welbeck is effective at international level so he would be in my 4.

welbeck hahaha did I really just read that

Go to Top of Page

Phoenixicus
Life Member

Midlands West
United Kingdom

Posted - 11 January 2018 :  06:15:07 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phoenixicus to your friends list

Why not PP, he has a good goal scoring record when fit

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Advertisement..

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Wise Owl
Trainee Moderator

West Yorkshire
Pakistan

Posted - 11 January 2018 :  06:18:29 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wise Owl to your friends list

Phoenix for foooook sake dont argue with him he's just started posting in here again after looking for the Dummy for the last god knows how long. What ya got to realise is if he sez it its right ok mate

Go to Top of Page

Phoenixicus
Life Member

Midlands West
United Kingdom

Posted - 11 January 2018 :  06:27:44 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phoenixicus to your friends list

Sorry Owly baby steps

Hey PP think really good things are happening at United and when Jose spends another 600 million they might win the league
Won't be buying it though

Go to Top of Page

Wise Owl
Trainee Moderator

West Yorkshire
Pakistan

Posted - 11 January 2018 :  06:32:59 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wise Owl to your friends list

Thats better mate just tell the truth and walk away

Go to Top of Page

shang
Life Member

Hertfordshire

Posted - 11 January 2018 :  4:50:56 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shang to your friends list

quote :
Originally posted by Pontius Pilate

quote :
Originally posted by shang

welbeck hahaha did I really just read that

Thank you O oracle... perhaps you think you could score more than 14 goals in 36 international matches

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Northantslad
'Any indications?

Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 12 January 2018 :  7:57:19 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Northantslad to your friends list

Certainly a tough one isn't it? The game has changed, with one 'striker' fielded being the norm in many starting 11s.

For me, it's far from conclusive:
Pick based on current form- Kane, Sterling, ring Rooney up +1 other.

Pick on potential to perform on the world stage/taking previous performances into consideration-Kane, ring Rooney up +2 others.

Pick based on how much players have put England first- all been guilty of the opposite, some more than others, some less than others-use that criteria and we will be going to Russia with barely 11 players, so do accept it will never be any other way.

Pick based on how well players have performed with goals for England- Kane, ring Rooney up and + 2 others

Pick based on goals scored this season (so far)- Kane, Stirling, ring Rooney up, Vardy.

Pick someone because they are English and are a 'striker': Defoe- what form he is in at present, 3 goals in 17 games? Callum Wilson-6 goals in 15 games, stats wise better than Defoe. Welbeck, done better for England than he has with the gooners, hardly been on fire for either for any duration.

Am still no nearer knowing who I would take, I reckon Southgate will take:
Kane, Vardy, Defoe, Rashford.

Go to Top of Page

Phoenixicus
Life Member

Midlands West
United Kingdom

Posted - 12 January 2018 :  8:15:57 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phoenixicus to your friends list

You are Rooneys agent really aren't you NL?

Go to Top of Page

62tucker
Life Member

Site Supporter

Tyne and Wear

Posted - 12 January 2018 :  8:49:06 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 62tucker to your friends list

I would take Andy Carroll if fit. Can change a game if we need to in final 20 mins.

Go to Top of Page

Phoenixicus
Life Member

Midlands West
United Kingdom

Posted - 12 January 2018 :  9:10:33 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phoenixicus to your friends list

He won't be going then - never lasts more than a couple of games

Always felt he would do better than he has,very talented player but something missing

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Advertisement...

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Northantslad
'Any indications?

Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 13 January 2018 :  08:20:19 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Northantslad to your friends list

quote :
Originally posted by Phoenixicus

You are Rooneys agent really aren't you NL?

I'm a fan. Its current form me when choosing any player and aside from Kane as the real obvious choice as a 'striker' I am stuck beyond that to see who we have from the 'available' players. The dilemma and current form levels of all there is to pick from just emphasises that Rooney still had plenty to give. I wasn't looking to bring Rooney into this one, having said my piece on his retirement in the other thread, but form wise then..............

Go to Top of Page

Phoenixicus
Life Member

Midlands West
United Kingdom

Posted - 13 January 2018 :  09:06:16 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phoenixicus to your friends list

When have England ever picked players on form?
Stoke fan so biased but would say this anyway - why did they not keep Crouch in the squad when his England record is top drawer.

He is a very skillful player and his hold up play is excellent - still see him as a great fit for Kane/Vardy/Stirling to play off

Go to Top of Page

Northantslad
'Any indications?

Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 13 January 2018 :  12:19:51 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Northantslad to your friends list

When I say form, I mean current premier league club form, not historical England form, although there are some, such as Rooney that shine on both of those criteria.

But yes agree mate, when have England ever picked on form, my point is that may be they should.

A look at the current goals scored in the league by players makes for interesting reading at the moment, especially if Southgate goes for Defoe, because it's Defoe.

Whilst there has been biased in favour of picking from the higher performing clubs in the past, clearly a wrong thing to do, I don't buy the well he plays at an average club and he plays at a top club, an on form player will be having an effect on his club:

Kane, top player, top club and his goals are having an impact on his club.

Rashford, top player, top club, average performances recently and he currently isn't really having an impact on his club.

Defoe, historically a good striker, average club, he isn't having an impact on his club.

Callum Wilson, form is above average at an average club, take his goals and performances away and the club would be affected.

Using tactical criteria and if we may benefit from a specific type player, then I look at the Carrols and Crouches, both an asset at times, both had their moments, but rarely sustained, club form lacks any consistency, Crouch did have a good run knocking in hatricks against Jamaica ect for England.

When people say that a big target and 'bull' of a striker may have seen us beat Iceland, we can only speculate, I have never seen Southgate trial this in any friendlies and picking such players would be a big gamble, the gambles should be taken in the friendlies and some of the more predictable qualifiers, not just stick them on a plane and see if it works.

In essence, I am just not sure what has been learnt recently about selection and tactics.

Go to Top of Page

Northantslad
'Any indications?

Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 15 March 2018 :  6:27:06 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Northantslad to your friends list

Rashford, Vardy, Welbeck named as strikers for the forthcoming friendlies.

A good few named in the squad that Gareth wants to 'take a look at' with four games to go to the world cup.

My worry all through his tenure has been a lack of consistency in what means a player gets picked.

3 strikers named when the usual is 4, with Kane injured for these games, it may have been an ideal opportunity to 'take a look at' some other strikers too?

4 keepers named, 4 games to go, a game each would be logical? Then can you base a judgment on 90 minutes though? I am assuming that he has been out and about plenty to get a better informed 'look' at some of these players. However, the world cup squad has to be announced before the final friendly, so that leaves 3 games to take a look.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2018 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.09 seconds.