The Maggotdrowners Forum - Michael Oliver?
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Old Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

** THE MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM HAS MOVED **

To go to the New Forums please click this link: THE NEW MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM

Important - If this is your first time logging into the new Forums you will need to reset your Password
as your previous password will not work - Click to Reset Password

If you have any problems logging in or resetting your password, please contact us with your Username and Email Address using this link Contact Us and we will get you back in as soon as possible. Alternatively email HELP@maggotdrowning.com with your name and username

The Maggotdrowners Forums have moved however the content of the old forum can stll be viewed even though no further replies can be added. All this content (and more) can be found by going to our new forums. To go to the New Maggotdrowning.com Forums please click this link: THE NEW MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM

All Forums
 www.Maggotdrowning.com
 Football Corner
 Michael Oliver?
 Forum Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

davylad
Life Member

East Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 12 April 2018 :  2:00:29 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add davylad to your friends list

I watched last nights game, and just wondered what you experts on football thought about the penalty decision. I myself thought it was a dead cert penalty without any question every time I looked at it. I know you can expect the Juve players to be upset, but Buffon I thought went a little too far, and left Oliver with not much choice. Of course it was a shame he had to finish 650 games with Juve like that, but rules are rules maybe. What do you reckon?

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Advertisement.

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Phoenixicus
Life Member

Midlands West
United Kingdom

Posted - 12 April 2018 :  2:11:50 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phoenixicus to your friends list

Ref followed the rules and did what he had to do

Go to Top of Page

Northantslad
'Any indications?

Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 12 April 2018 :  6:26:19 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Northantslad to your friends list

Foul/denying a goal scoring opportunity by fouling in the penalty area= penalty

Argy bargy/touching/pushing the ref=red card

Yes a shame too, would have liked to see them make it after that fight back, but rules are rules, Buffon's great record aside.

Some decisions are more contentious sometimes and some decisions are wrongly awarded, but until players start treating refs a little more respectfully they are unlikely to ever get any common sense decisions or factors taken into account.

Bit of a stalemate really and I'm not sure the above could ever work even if players behaved like angels to refs....
.......rules should be rules regardless of common sense factors you could say, at least you know where you stand then, the following has always annoyed me:

1) Yes it was a yellow offence, but we are in the first ten minutes so I will let it go

2) If a foul happened anywhere else on the pitch it would have been a free kick, but bottled when the same thing happens in the penalty area

3) Refs applying the rules then getting criticised for spoiling the game

4) Its a local derby so its acceptable to go easy with the cards/awarding of free kicks on some of the challenges and let the game flow.

I think sometimes refs are to blame, sometimes they can't win but most of the time winning at all costs has spoilt the game the most, its a right mess really.

Go to Top of Page

willothewisp
willothewisp

Co. Down
Ireland

Posted - 12 April 2018 :  8:08:05 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add willothewisp to your friends list

Having read quite a few sports news reporters online today, the consensus seems to be, (as our wise contributors above point out), that M. Oliver showed great strength of character and professionalism in his decisions.
Personally I would like to see a severe clamp down on all the prima donna antics, protests and gamesmanship currently so obvious in football with support and backing for the refs. "Mobbing" the ref is unacceptable, and the sooner they introduce rugby like rules where only a captain may approach a ref about a decision the better. They're only human, and seem to do a very difficult job remarkably well.
All credit to Oliver. As a relatively young man (32 I think) he's a credit and asset to the game.

Go to Top of Page

davylad
Life Member

East Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 12 April 2018 :  8:22:02 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add davylad to your friends list

Yes I agree with these comments, you never know I might live to see the day when modern day big earning footballers, toe the line and realise just how lucky they are, and show some respect to officials. What Buffon has stated, a day later is ridiculous, and to me embarrassing for him.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

kevin o connor
M.O.G. member

Wexford
Ireland

Posted - 12 April 2018 :  8:26:38 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kevin o connor to your friends list

It was the right decision, he was left with no choice ! That said I think Ronaldo should have had a yellow card ! Every time he lost possession he sat on the ground slapping the ground and throwing a tantrum like a child ! If the Referee deemed he had not been fouled, it was ungentlemanly conduct, which is a yellow card offence !

Go to Top of Page

Northantslad
'Any indications?

Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 13 April 2018 :  2:53:35 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Northantslad to your friends list

Every time a football player/s behavioural issues occur and every time we get the 'needs to be more like rugby' opinion.

They are two different sports but neither always played by gentlemen.

In the course of a rugby match a rugby player has plenty of opportunity both within the rules and outside the rules but not spotted, to vent frustration and leave something on an opponent for example.

Since football has gone virtually non contact, how a player can vent any frustration has gone with it.

Bring back the days of a good solid challenge being allowed and I am sure we would find that the game referees itself. Nor would this result in bad injuries either, as most footballers know that committing to a challenge and seeing it through is far better that the half hearted leg dangling that is permitted now.

Go to Top of Page

Phoenixicus
Life Member

Midlands West
United Kingdom

Posted - 13 April 2018 :  4:05:41 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phoenixicus to your friends list

Players are bigger,faster,more physical and the game is played at a very fast pace most times these days.
Let the full blooded (and close to the line)challenges happen and we will see more top flight professionals out of the game for longer or permanently and football will regress back to the 70s.

Taken a long time to slowly eradicate the thugs out of the game,we really don't want to be going back down that route.

Go to Top of Page

davylad
Life Member

East Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 13 April 2018 :  5:40:12 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add davylad to your friends list

I know where you're coming from Phe, but I don't think footballers are bigger and more physical nowadays, although they are definitely faster. Rugby on the other hand, then yes. The hard lads of yesterday weren't all thugs, it was tit for tat a lot of the time, I can't stand the cheap shot Charlies myself.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Advertisement..

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Phoenixicus
Life Member

Midlands West
United Kingdom

Posted - 13 April 2018 :  6:10:12 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phoenixicus to your friends list

Physical as in more athletic Davy,they are so ripped these days they carry no padding (unless you are Luke Shaw- according to JM)
There are fewer kickers in top flight football these days and that's why we see more skilful players and spectacular goals.

Even the South Americans are not as bad as they used to be,still good for the odd brawl though

Go to Top of Page

Northantslad
'Any indications?

Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 14 April 2018 :  08:40:37 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Northantslad to your friends list

quote :
Originally posted by Phoenixicus

Players are bigger,faster,more physical and the game is played at a very fast pace most times these days.
Let the full blooded (and close to the line)challenges happen and we will see more top flight professionals out of the game for longer or permanently and football will regress back to the 70s.

Taken a long time to slowly eradicate the thugs out of the game,we really don't want to be going back down that route.

I think thuggish behaviour was fairly limited to the odd renound player. Am just thinking about the psychology of it all and how sports people release frustration. I am convinced rugby players don't verbally 'discuss' things with a ref purely and simply because as I said they can release frustration in other ways through the game.

There are other sports where you see it, Tennis for example, slamming the racket down or arguing a decision with a ref, less so since the challenge rule was brought in, in recognition that a ref can be wrong. Golfers slamming a club into the ground when frustrated, these are all a release.

Footballers are like a coiled spring, you cant go in hard, you cant approach the ref, etc etc, sometimes when a head goes and shows no sign of improving, the only option is to sub them.

Go to Top of Page

Phoenixicus
Life Member

Midlands West
United Kingdom

Posted - 14 April 2018 :  09:16:07 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phoenixicus to your friends list

Rugby players are not allowed to discuss points with the ref,only the captain can do that.
Any attempts to lead to a warning or if to much by the individual/team, penalties are awarded.
In RL any verbals by the players lead to the ref awarding a 10 metre gain

In football dissent and gesticulation is far to incessant and some of the images in the past of players squaring up to officials are too much.
In rugby the players would get 10 mins in the bin or be off for it.
Football just lets them get away with it and IMO does need addressing - Ronaldo on Wednesday would have been off if it had been rugby as he was embarrassing and at it all match.

Go to Top of Page

davylad
Life Member

East Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 14 April 2018 :  1:42:20 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add davylad to your friends list

Some very good points from both of you there.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Northantslad
'Any indications?

Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 14 April 2018 :  8:16:46 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Northantslad to your friends list

Yep like a healthy debate Davy.

I know rugby players aren't allowed to approach the ref, what I am saying is that they will never get frustrated enough to feel like they need to, because any anger comes out in other ways within the course of the game and sometimes within the rules of what is a very physical sport, slamming into someone is part of the game and is expected.

I just disagree with the rugby players are angels and are apparent role models for footballers and their game is a role model for football opinion, the dynamics, the rules, the contact, the strategies are all different.

I have no doubt that there are problems in football and there are problems that are embarrassing at times, these issues weren't so abundant years ago and seeking solutions from a completely different sport, isn't the way forward for me.

Go to Top of Page

davylad
Life Member

East Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 15 April 2018 :  11:22:35 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add davylad to your friends list

I was at the game yesterday, I won't mention the players as don't want to start an argument, but I was embarrassed for the players involved. One dived and got his timing wrong, and went down as though he'd been shot, when the goalkeeper had seen it coming and sidestepped the potential collision. The other, well it's not worth even mentioning it, but believe me it was again embarrassing. I reckon the authorities will eventually cut out the gamesmanship in the game, but it spoils it for me at the minute.

Edited by - davylad on 15 April 2018 11:23:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

Phoenixicus
Life Member

Midlands West
United Kingdom

Posted - 15 April 2018 :  12:07:49 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phoenixicus to your friends list

Where are you getting the rugby players are angels and role models perception from NL?
Rugby from officialdom down to the players has never promoted that notion as they accept that it is a physical game and tempers will fray.
What they do try to do though is create rules that will limit the damage of physicality,cheating,lack of respect to the officials and punish accordingly.

Do you watch many Union or League games?

I used to love football both playing and watching but the constant fake injuries,cheating,whinging and lack of respect for the officials is a major turnoff these days.

Rugby is a far physical game,they put their bodies on the line and you never see anyone not putting it in.
They cannot afford to as they will get hurt.
The rules of both sports may be different but the way the game is played and the respect required should be the same for both sports.

Edited by - Phoenixicus on 15 April 2018 12:10:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Northantslad
'Any indications?

Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 15 April 2018 :  5:19:48 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Northantslad to your friends list

quote :
Originally posted by Phoenixicus

Where are you getting the rugby players are angels and role models perception from NL?
Rugby from officialdom down to the players has never promoted that notion as they accept that it is a physical game and tempers will fray.
What they do try to do though is create rules that will limit the damage of physicality,cheating,lack of respect to the officials and punish accordingly.

Do you watch many Union or League games?

I used to love football both playing and watching but the constant fake injuries,cheating,whinging and lack of respect for the officials is a major turnoff these days.

Rugby is a far physical game,they put their bodies on the line and you never see anyone not putting it in.
They cannot afford to as they will get hurt.
The rules of both sports may be different but the way the game is played and the respect required should be the same for both sports.

Few questions there mate, so one at a time:

Rarely when the 'should be more like Rugby' opinion is given, is it said that they are angels granted, but the inference is there whenever that opinion is given that Rugby is top to bottom better ran.

Agree on the way football is going, already said that.

I don't make an effort to watch Rugby, if i'm at a loose end and England are on then i might watch it. Surprised you had ask that bit really mate, thought you knew that I only comment on things I have some understanding of.

I used to play Rugby as a kid to be social because my school colleagues did, but lets just say that my family and i didn't really fit with the other families and kids that played. Turning up in an allegro we weren't really ever accepted by those turning up in range rovers. That's not the chip on my shoulder by the way, I would have and continue to mix with anyone who doesn't think they are any better due to their wealth, which is clearly what they felt when they went out of their way to not mix.

Edited by - Northantslad on 15 April 2018 5:21:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Advertisement...

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Phoenixicus
Life Member

Midlands West
United Kingdom

Posted - 15 April 2018 :  5:47:34 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phoenixicus to your friends list

Not sure if rugby is better ran but both codes have got their acts together when it comes to ensuring that rules are in place to stop the cheats and the officials are respected.

One thing that both rugby codes do benefit from is the report process where cheating or foul play can be assessed after the game.
Players will lose 10 mins or be sent off and then be hit again with the review findings.
The report is also a good way of taking time to evaluate the incident without taking time to disrupt the flow of the game.

I think that those that do comment that football should follow some of rugbys systems do so because they can see the obvious difference between the two.
Players will only get away with what they are allowed to and in footballs case it seems to be a disease that cannot be cured.

Rugby is no longer the game of the wealthy and in the case of my team Worcester Warriors (season ticket holder) the academy players from all ages are from right across the board.

It's a forum NL I thought we were all experts on every topic

Edited by - Phoenixicus on 15 April 2018 5:50:05 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2018 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.09 seconds.