The Maggotdrowners Forum - Shakespeare Agility Continental Feeder :(
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Tackle and Baits
 Tackle Reviews
 Shakespeare Agility Continental Feeder :(
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lobber
Life Member

Lancashire
United Kingdom

Posted - 12 September 2016 :  3:38:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lobber's Homepage Bookmark this topic Add Lobber to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

13 foot version. Purchase price 56 + p&p (RRP 79).

I had high hopes for this rod given some favourable comments on the forum and the video from Shakespeare. Unfortunately this hasn't been the case for two major reasons, the first of which can be seen below.

On its third outing while retrieving I heard a ping/rattle and this was the result. On closer inspection the guide insert on another ring is unevenly aligned, I suspect this was also the cause of the other insert failing.

Secondly there is a knock on the first joint which can't be eliminated unless jammed together hard. The blank has a taper issue at the joint, there's no excuse for this. Other 'features' included are a rod bag made from that cheap felt material that turns fluff, a Shakespeare sticker thats hanging off, and a chunk missing out of the cork.

The action of the rod is good (although not light at at 292g, and ignoring the knock) handling carp to 10lbs comfortably, and tippy enough to cope with the lunges of decent slabs and not bumping them at the net. Casting power was ample, casting a 120g payload 40-60yrds with ease.

However any positives end there. This rod was let down by what now seems to be a recurring theme for Shakespeare in my experience, poor manufacturing standards and lack of quality control. This is my last run with Shakespeare sadly.

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

NathanWatson
Life Member

Lincolnshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 12 September 2016 :  7:47:57 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NathanWatson to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Maybe just a one off bad one? Happens with most things, have you took it back for an exchange or refund?

Go to Top of Page

Total
Life Member

Site Supporter

Gt. London
United Kingdom

....Just one more cast!

Posted - 12 September 2016 :  8:59:43 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Total to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with this new purchase.

May I ask one question please?

Did you not inspect the rod on it's arrival for damage etc?

With these faults, would you not return it before use and ask for a replacement or refund? Thank you.

Mark

Edited by - Total on 13 September 2016 01:11:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lobber
Life Member

Lancashire
United Kingdom

Posted - 12 September 2016 :  9:50:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lobber's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Lobber to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Spending 15 p&p for replacement irks me Nathan. I've epoxied the insert back in and sanded to hump off the butt section joint area.

My last 5 years of Shakespeare tackle buys: 2 rods, 2 reels 1 tackle holdall, all faulty. Even the reel I was given as a replacement by a Shakespeare rep' was damaged. It dawned on me yesterday, Shakespeare is the only manufacturer where I've had to return defective products, in 30+ years.
Enough is enough.

Go to Top of Page

pat 1948
Life Member

Site Supporter

Staffordshire
United Kingdom

fair, fat and retired

Posted - 12 September 2016 :  11:34:43 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pat 1948 to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Been buying Shakey rods since the late 70's early 80's, 'President Match' was the first as I can recall, and I can honestly say that I've never bought a 'duffer', all of mine have been spot on, I will admit to 'wearing' the odd rod to death, but I do feel for you as it seems you've got a 'Friday Afternoon Special'.

pat
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

NathanWatson
Life Member

Lincolnshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 13 September 2016 :  10:38:52 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NathanWatson to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by Lobber

Spending 15 p&p for replacement irks me Nathan. I've epoxied the insert back in and sanded to hump off the butt section joint area.

My last 5 years of Shakespeare tackle buys: 2 rods, 2 reels 1 tackle holdall, all faulty. Even the reel I was given as a replacement by a Shakespeare rep' was damaged. It dawned on me yesterday, Shakespeare is the only manufacturer where I've had to return defective products, in 30+ years.
Enough is enough.

If an item is faulty, the seller should pay for your return postage, demand it!

Go to Top of Page

blue orfe
Life Member

Site Supporter

Berkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 14 September 2016 :  06:52:25 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blue orfe to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

A bit of thin parcel tape on the joint should sort the knocking out Lobber.
Buying from your local tackle dealer makes it easier to return items, I am often suspicious online dealers are getting rid of their "seconds"

Go to Top of Page

nejohn
Life Member

Gwent
United Kingdom

Posted - 14 September 2016 :  09:12:20 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nejohn to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

I agree with Lobber I really think Sheakespear have some real quality control issues a prime example is both myself and my mate bought Mach3 reels from sports direct around the same time his is fine and he still uses it 2 years on mine was absolute rubbish , poor line lay, poor rotor balance and after 2 weeks felt like a coffee grinder. I have had other issues with shakey kit and now i wouldn't touch it with a 10ft barge pole unless i was buying from a shop and could fully inspect the piece of kit I was buying. Shakey kit via mail order in my opion is no better than a lottery

Go to Top of Page

NathanWatson
Life Member

Lincolnshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 14 September 2016 :  12:51:59 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NathanWatson to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by blue orfe

A bit of thin parcel tape on the joint should sort the knocking out Lobber.
Buying from your local tackle dealer makes it easier to return items, I am often suspicious online dealers are getting rid of their "seconds"

No need for either!

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

NoCarpPlease
Life Member

Oxfordshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 14 September 2016 :  7:13:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit NoCarpPlease's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add NoCarpPlease to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

That's not great! Like Pat1948, my experience of Shaky rods, whips and luggage over 30 years has been unfailingly good .... I still use a super team whip from the 80s and my current float rods are excelsiors and super team LXL.

Go to Top of Page

Carter.j
Life Member

Posted - 17 September 2016 :  10:21:33 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Carter.j to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Give the manufacturer a chance to put things right.

I always find Shakespeare gear very good

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

thetraveller
Life Member

Tyne and Wear
Saint Vincent And The Grenadines

Posted - 17 September 2016 :  8:34:43 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thetraveller to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

If it is so bad you should have contacted the dealer as it is their responsibility and up to them to contact their supplier. Surely you would have put the rod together before using it and noticed the joint fault and damaged handle? If so it should have been returned before using it.

On the rod bag issue if you are only paying 56 you are not likely to get an expensive top quality bag.

Go to Top of Page

Lobber
Life Member

Lancashire
United Kingdom

Posted - 26 September 2016 :  11:53:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lobber's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Lobber to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

I've bought sub 30 rods with better rod bags. In the end it was easier fix it. Have you tried getting on online dealer to stump-up for return p&p?
You can't compare modern Shakespeare tackle with the older stuff. Chalk and cheese.

Edited by - Lobber on 26 September 2016 5:17:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

NathanWatson
Life Member

Lincolnshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 26 September 2016 :  7:53:43 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NathanWatson to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by Lobber

I've bought sub 30 rods with better rod bags. In the end it was easier fix it. Have you tried getting on online dealer to stump-up for return p&p?
You can't compare modern Shakespeare tackle with the older stuff. Chalk and cheese.

Yes, many times and never failed!

Go to Top of Page

Fred Davis
Life Member

Middlesex
England

Posted - 29 September 2016 :  9:01:04 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Fred Davis to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

I must admit I bought two agility rods the 13ft and the 14ft both rods have been superb with no issues, however I would say that I would have returned the rod you received especially with the faults a knocking joint and rings with the centres falling out is unacceptable, I also have a couple of agility reels for distance work and for the money I have been well impressed again with no issues, not that I am a Shakespeare fan as all my other gear is daiwa, preston or browning just needed a budget distance set up as it's not going to get as much use as my regular gear, however as I said no problems so far and to be honest I have been impressed with the gear my mate has been using an agility 13ft for around 3 years with no issues seems you have been unlucky.

Go to Top of Page

neillawrence
neil

Site Supporter

Staffordshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 01 October 2016 :  06:28:15 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add neillawrence to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

You got to give them a chance to sort it as they might not know about faults
it will alert them and try to stop anymore goin out faulty
the only rod I've had problems with was sorted out straight away
all be it was a different manufacturers it did cost me postage but
worth 12.99 to get it sorted
It is annoying though when it happens though feel for ya mate

If it aint broke dont fix it
if it is get a pro to fix it
Go to Top of Page

rd350lc
Life Member

Northamptonshire

Posted - 06 November 2016 :  8:32:02 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rd350lc to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

I have to say I had exactly this same issue with the inner bit of the guide falling out on a Daiwa rod and being chipped on a Maver rod from new (caused in transit) , but I bought them from Angling direct and the customer service was faultless and they arranged collection for both rods and replaced without question , they are good people to deal with .

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

nico12
Grebe Grabber

Nottinghamshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 21 December 2016 :  11:12:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit nico12's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add nico12 to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

HI All

I've never had an issue with any Shakespeare kit at all.

Currently using

Mach 3 Reels x 2
Superteam 11/12/13ft Feeder Road
Superteam Power Poles x 2 ( 12 Top Kits)

Had opportunities to change the pole but never have done. Never let me down and still looks like new

I was never sure about the tied hooks but my own choice!

Always thought Shakespeare missed a trick with the Mach Range and seem to flick between decent and real low end kit....

Go to Top of Page

rudd
Life Member

Suffolk
United Kingdom

Posted - 14 February 2017 :  10:42:02 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rudd to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Most likely a one off duffer.
Have had it happen with another brands kit in the past. Replacement of same model was fine.
I only own one Shakespeare rod, a Mach three 11ft pellet waggler.
A gem of a rod that compares with others at triple the price.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2017 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.36 seconds.