The Maggotdrowners Forum - Matrix stay fresh solid elastic
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Tackle and Baits
 Tackle Reviews
 Matrix stay fresh solid elastic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

StuH
Life Member

Site Supporter

Lancashire
United Kingdom

Posted - 31 December 2016 :  12:06:54 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add StuH to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Just got the latest copy of Pole Fishing and there's a very positive article about said elastic in size 6 & 8. Well I've tried 5 & 8 and whilst 8 seems okay so far I had a nightmare with the 5.

When you open the packet you are greeted by a very slippery elastic, the stuff is absolutely swimming in lubricant and it's quite sticky, still onwards and upwards..I did two top kits with the 5 and went for a short visit to a local small natural lake. Well, the stuff stuck, it stuck like nothing I've tried before. It wasn't a case of tension the elastic as it had to be ping tight before it stopped sticking. Soon as I got home it came out and Preston slip back in

Now the 8 seems to be working better though I've only had a few fish on it. It's not sticking though and I don't think it was quite as lubed up as the 5. Maybe the 5 was a production error. Either way I didn't get on with it.

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

nick_gilbert
NG Floats, Elastic

Site Supporter

Kent
England

Posted - 31 December 2016 :  1:14:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit nick_gilbert's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add nick_gilbert to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

This could be the reason.

Within batches of hollow elastic you can sometimes get some that has not got a smooth outer coating, my best guess is they have put lube on the outside to try and replace this so it can still be sold. If I get some like this in my stuff it ends up in the bin as it never runs smooth once the lube wears off..

The likelihood is if you take it back to the shop to get replaced the next lot will be OK.

Float Store for Hand Made & Commercial XT Pole Floats, Wagglers, Silicone, Line and now Hollow Pole Elastic

Edited by - nick_gilbert on 01 January 2017 09:34:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

lp1886
Life Member

Leicestershire
England

Posted - 31 December 2016 :  2:30:51 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lp1886 to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Personally I would have gave the elastic a good rinse under warm water and then allowed it to dry before threading. I had contemplated giving the No.5 a try but I think I will stick to Middy Hiviz following your review.

Go to Top of Page

Total
Life Member

Site Supporter

Gt. London
United Kingdom

....Just one more cast!

Posted - 02 January 2017 :  02:17:11 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Total to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by nick_gilbert

This could be the reason.

Within batches of hollow elastic you can sometimes get some that has not got a smooth outer coating, my best guess is they have put lube on the outside to try and replace this so it can still be sold. If I get some like this in my stuff it ends up in the bin as it never runs smooth once the lube wears off..

The likelihood is if you take it back to the shop to get replaced the next lot will be OK.

Nick, Did you misread the original OP?....It was about Matrix Stay fresh solid elastic, not the hollow elastic. .

....Although I have had batches of solid elastic that have not been smooth on the outside that acted as you've implied, and been promptly returned.

Mark

Edited by - Total on 02 January 2017 06:44:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

nick_gilbert
NG Floats, Elastic

Site Supporter

Kent
England

Posted - 02 January 2017 :  08:52:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit nick_gilbert's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add nick_gilbert to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Yep my error!

Float Store for Hand Made & Commercial XT Pole Floats, Wagglers, Silicone, Line and now Hollow Pole Elastic
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

StuH
Life Member

Site Supporter

Lancashire
United Kingdom

Posted - 02 January 2017 :  3:59:34 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StuH to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Think Nick was just saying he's had similar problems with his hollow production.

As I've said the 8 feels fine and I now have a 12 which feels fine though I've not put it in a top kit.

Go to Top of Page

genesis
Life Member

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

A lot happier

Posted - 19 January 2017 :  09:44:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit genesis's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add genesis to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Bought some 8 yesterday and fit it last night. Looks and feels fine. Will give it a try.

Genesis-Rizov Pole Floats
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2017 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.23 seconds.