The Maggotdrowners Forum - Whips
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Talk
 Whips
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

pat 1948
Life Member

Site Supporter

Staffordshire
United Kingdom

fair, fat and retired

Posted - 08 January 2017 :  3:03:15 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pat 1948 to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by lp1886

The only concern I would have is pulling for a break when using the flick tip.

Fine hook lengths???

pat
Go to Top of Page

Brian the Fish
Life Member

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
England

Never put your hook through it's own loop.

Posted - 09 January 2017 :  12:45:01 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Brian the Fish to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

I went for a practice session for a match, all fish counted in the match and there was a huge head of silvers in this lake, so I thought I would fish a top 3 kit plus 2 sections to hand.
I was catching small silvers at a decent rate and thought that this would be my match tactic, then the no.4 section snapped...not even with a fish on....wrong tackle for the job.
Poles are not made for coping with the same stresses that whips are.
An expensive replacement section had to be bought....cheaper to buy a whip.

Brian
Go to Top of Page

lp1886
Life Member

Leicestershire
England

Posted - 09 January 2017 :  8:19:40 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lp1886 to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Fine hook lengths???

Swinging in larger fish requires a more robust line, so light hooklengths are of no use.
Can hollow tips be used as flick tips, or does it need to be a solid carbon tip for more finesse?

Go to Top of Page

mickthechippy
space cadet

Site Supporter

Kent
United Kingdom

ON STRIKE !!!!

Posted - 09 January 2017 :  8:46:49 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mickthechippy to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

I fish both the whip and a pole to hand

the whips, I only use the flick tips when bit bashing, if theres a chance of netter fish, I will get out the elasticated tips

my TP top kits are elasticated through 3 sections with orange 4, yellow 6 and NG teal and dark blue hollow laccies

on the pole, I use heavier elastics, NG hollow 6-10 is really good, stretches well to cusion out big fish lunges yet is perfect for fishing "To hand" and i run them through just the top two

rarely go over a top 4 fishing to hand on the pole, this gives me plenty of range, around 10 metres to fish in,

you need a stronger line for fishing to hand, most of my rigs are 0.14, with hooklengths of 0.10

my floats are heavyish to, the minimum used are 0.6 gramme and range up to floats of 2 gramme plus, you need the weight to be able to swing the rig out

most of my whip rigs are shotted with a bulk or olivette well down near the hook, they never go beyond 12 inches above it, sometimes as close as bulking 4 inches from the hook, to get the bait down and the float cocked and in use as quick as I can

why are the next pegs to me vacant?
NG floats and tackle/the float store

Edited by - mickthechippy on 09 January 2017 8:49:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Hatman
Drawbag ace

West Yorkshire
England

Posted - 09 January 2017 :  9:48:25 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hatman to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

I don't like to swing fish & instead have worked on netting fast. Since I net them I always fish a hollow elasticaled topkit, & can control larger fish on light laccy by using a puller on elastics as low as 1-2.

Go to Top of Page

Brian the Fish
Life Member

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
England

Posted - 10 January 2017 :  09:16:21 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Brian the Fish to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

To elasticate a whip, I have been told you can take out the solid flick-tip and replace it with a no.1 section from a pole top 3, telescopic style.
Is this workable or not?
I have just bought, and it arrived this morning before 9 am, a 4 mtr whip. I have never used a whip so was trying to find out more.
The only whips I have seen with elastic have been the 'system whips', didn't want to spend that kind of money.

Brian
Go to Top of Page

mickthechippy
space cadet

Site Supporter

Kent
United Kingdom

ON STRIKE !!!!

Posted - 10 January 2017 :  10:54:42 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mickthechippy to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

no mate, a no 1 will not be suitable

it wont have the flexibilty required and will ruin the action of the whip

why are the next pegs to me vacant?
NG floats and tackle/the float store
Go to Top of Page

JLK
Life Member

Site Supporter

United Kingdom

Posted - 10 January 2017 :  11:28:41 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLK to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Just take out the solid flick tip and cut back the tip section that the flick tip came out of to take a bush if need be. You'll never be able to use the flick tip again but as you want to elasticated it you won't be bothered.

4m whips in my opinion should be left as is.

They are designed for catching small fish quickly.
The only time I'd cut back the solid flick tip would be for making the whip less tippy for bagging sessions of bleak/roach.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

grey
Life Member

Leicestershire

Posted - 10 January 2017 :  12:38:05 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add grey to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

The pole and whip are completely different tools.

The whip is more akin to a rod, but with a fixed line; as such, you use it similar to a rod, (ie. cast it out, swing fish to hand etc)

The whip is specifically intended to catch lots of similar size fish quickly. However, it is not the most versatile tool - so if you aren't confident only fish of a certain size are in your swim, or if you suspect you may have to pull for a break, perhaps the whip is not the ideal tool for the job.

Like a rod, the whip is designed to bend as this provides the necessary shock absorbance; whereas the pole is designed to remain rigid and relies the elastic to soak the strain.

Although the effective operating range of a whip is restricted, unlike a pole you can't change the elastic to alter its capability, but its built in bend/flex does allow you to play far bigger fish than many assume. My whip at 6m has similar landing/playing capability as my pole with a 10 elastic, up to about 3 meters of stretch coming out (if that makes sense).

A whip's beauty is in its efficiency and simplicity. If you choose to elasticate it, you erode so much of its essential qualities that you may as well use a pole.

Go to Top of Page

a2ssm
Life Member

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 10 January 2017 :  1:41:54 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add a2ssm to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by bigdavewsf

quote :
Originally posted by DiscoDave1987

quote :
Originally posted by Bill G

I HAVE A SIX LATEX IN THE TOP SECTION OF MY FIVE METRE WHIP. ANYTHING LONGER I JUST USE THE POLE TO HAND ,AND DEPENDING ON THE SIZE OF FISH DEPENDS ON WHICH ELASTICATED TOP I WILL HAVE ON .
DAM CAPS LOCK WAS ON ,cant be arsed to retype.

Not that it matters but if you highlight the text then hold shift and press F3 it will change the text to lowercase without needing to re-type.

Boring fact for ou there lol.

this works on word...just not on forums

Copy paste text into word

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Brian the Fish
Life Member

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
England

Posted - 10 January 2017 :  1:42:44 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Brian the Fish to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Sorry.....got that bit wrong.....the pole no.1 section is telescoped into the 3rd joint to create a hollow tip for elastication.

Brian
Go to Top of Page

pat 1948
Life Member

Site Supporter

Staffordshire
United Kingdom

fair, fat and retired

Posted - 10 January 2017 :  2:22:27 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pat 1948 to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by Brian the Fish

Sorry.....got that bit wrong.....the pole no.1 section is telescoped into the 3rd joint to create a hollow tip for elastication.

I've done the same with mine Bri, put a fine no 1 pole section in place of the flick tip, cut the section back a few inches, used an external PTFE bush and have elasticated top three with blue hydro.

pat
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

nutmeg
Life Member

Cheshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 11 January 2017 :  4:22:22 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nutmeg to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Has anybody on here got the Sensas mini fast telescopic whip set?
Five different size whips from 1.6 mtrs to 3.5 mtrs.
If so are they any good, just thinking about getting a set for back up.
Any thoughts good or bad, cheers.

Go to Top of Page

Brian the Fish
Life Member

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
England

Posted - 12 January 2017 :  10:30:53 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Brian the Fish to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

I don't think they are carbon and they have small stonfo connectors already fitted.

Brian
Go to Top of Page

nutmeg
Life Member

Cheshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 12 January 2017 :  10:38:21 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nutmeg to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Well l have ordered a set, so will soon know if they are any good or not. I have got an original tournament pro system whip, plus extentions that l use for the majority of my whip fishing sessions. This sensas outfit can live in the car boot for those days when something short is required.

Go to Top of Page

richox12
Life Member

Posted - 12 January 2017 :  12:23:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit richox12's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add richox12 to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by grey

If you choose to elasticate it, you erode so much of its essential qualities that you may as well use a pole.

I'd agree with everything else which you have written (and put well) except.....I'd argue that elasticating the 2nd section (as anyone, sensibly, would remove the tip) expands on the whips use and when used as such is still far better than the equivalent length 'main pole' sections which are way too stiff to use as any type of 'whip' or line to hand work without breaking. Whips need to flex to absorb stresses but, also very importantly, to be able to cast or flick out light rigs. I think a lot of people worry about breaking fine solid tips when swinging fish in and elasticating a section with soft elastic allows them to do so much more safely.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

grey
Life Member

Leicestershire

Posted - 12 January 2017 :  3:51:34 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add grey to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

Richox. I must admit, I hadn't thought that an elasticated whip could offer something that a normal pole cannot, so a good point. However, I will still maintain that the performance of a whip with a flick tip is very different to that of an elasticated whip.

The tip is an important part of the whip, it allows you to flick the light rigs out as you say, but just as importantly, the tip is wonderfully soft on the strike and applies the perfect progressive curve of power against the fish. To get the same delicacy on the pole, you'd have to use such light elastic, you'd sacrifice some control and therefore speed.

A solid tip on the whip is designed for the job and is highly unlikely to break in normal use - the same material as a feeder tip (which only tend to break on wrap-arounds) and we don't worry about swinging fish to hand on those do we?

Elasticating a whip for a specific purpose I can understand, but elasticating whips as a 'belt and braces' approach may make the angler believe they've got the best of both worlds, but they are mistaken in my opinion. I think if anglers had a little more faith in their (unelasticated) whip's performance, they may discover an incredibly useful tool in their arsenal they didn't know they had.

Go to Top of Page

NathanWatson
Life Member

Lincolnshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 12 January 2017 :  4:01:17 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NathanWatson to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :

The pole and whip are completely different tools.

The whip is more akin to a rod, but with a fixed line; as such, you use it similar to a rod, (ie. cast it out, swing fish to hand etc)

The whip is specifically intended to catch lots of similar size fish quickly. However, it is not the most versatile tool - so if you aren't confident only fish of a certain size are in your swim, or if you suspect you may have to pull for a break, perhaps the whip is not the ideal tool for the job.

Like a rod, the whip is designed to bend as this provides the necessary shock absorbance; whereas the pole is designed to remain rigid and relies the elastic to soak the strain.

Although the effective operating range of a whip is restricted, unlike a pole you can't change the elastic to alter its capability, but its built in bend/flex does allow you to play far bigger fish than many assume. My whip at 6m has similar landing/playing capability as my pole with a 10 elastic, up to about 3 meters of stretch coming out (if that makes sense).

A whip's beauty is in its efficiency and simplicity. If you choose to elasticate it, you erode so much of its essential qualities that you may as well use a pole.

Not sure how you work that out, no way does a whip with a flick tip have similar landing/playing capability as a pole with 10 elastic!

Go to Top of Page

Total
Life Member

Site Supporter

Gt. London
United Kingdom

....Just one more cast!

Posted - 12 January 2017 :  4:27:16 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Total to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

quote :
Originally posted by NathanWatson

quote :

....... My whip at 6m has similar landing/playing capability as my pole with a 10 elastic, up to about 3 meters of stretch coming out (if that makes sense).

Not sure how you work that out, no way does a whip with a flick tip have similar landing/playing capability as a pole with 10 elastic!

...Was thinking the same thing!.....I suppose it does if you've got elasticated arms!

Mark

Edited by - Total on 12 January 2017 4:27:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

grey
Life Member

Leicestershire

Posted - 12 January 2017 :  4:32:17 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add grey to your friends list Reply to Topic Quote this Post

No, obviously didn't make sense to you. It has the similar landing capability as pole with 10 elastic with 3m of stretch coming out. The power curve is clearly different and 3m is where the whip bottoms out (or at least where the flex becomes too powerful for the line)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2017 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.41 seconds.